Reaper VS The MPK mini

D7080

Greetings from Canada eh? so about 4 months ago I purchased the MPK mini from a local reputable second-hand store in pristine condition still inbox. When I got home I plugged it into my computer and downloaded its recommended software. This software was more or less a testing ground to ensure everything worked. It did. I then went forward and tried to record some tasty licks on Slow Tools. My MIDI was recognized by the software but would not track any input I gave it on the keyboard. After about 4 hours of messing with options, I got nowhere. Defeated, I tucked the MIDI away and wrote it off as a dud. Fast forward to yesterday. I thought I'd give reaper a try only to have the same issue.
To troubleshoot I plugged my Yamaha DGX-650 electric piano into my pc and had the same problem. The software recognized the Device but would not track any input. Thus eliminating the device as the issue. I searched through at least a hundred forms for an answer but nothing I tried worked. The only loose thread I have is a form that said it may be a matter of "permissions" on my computer not allowing Reaper to pick up input from the device. I can not test this tho as nowhere on my computer is "permissions" an option for the software nor the device. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software to try to prompt a permissions window with no luck. Left with nothing but a head scratch, I reach out to you. Is there anything I may have overlooked? Is this a common issue? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Perhaps you just need to go into Reaper's Options and Preferences to finish setting the device up. There should be a setup or install guide for it - is it part of the downloaded software?

See if this helps : https://www.google.com/search?q=aka...i30j0i390l2.9607j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I'm currently setting up a similar device - Nektar SE25 - in Reaper. I'm still in the middle of it and everything's going ok except I get no audio as I'm entering keyboard inputs. The notes are appearing in the piano roll editor, but no sound in the headphones as they are entered - sound is there on playback and when clicking the corresponding keys on the virtual keyboard, though.

Update : After making all the proper connections on the MIDI track in Reaper, the SE25's keyboard is producing all the required sounds. Routing.. routing.. routing.. ;)

Last edited:
The Cocko's forums ( Reapers official BBS) have a ton of info on this subject...Here is a google search that will provide you a lot of links and videos to get you through the routing and training process

Does Reaper recognise the device itself? And is the device enabled? Look for this in Options/Preferences/Audio/Midi devices.

Is there something on the midi track to play audio, e.g. a VSTi?

The device shows up under midi. I have preferences set to enabled for input and output. Where things break down is when I activate record monitoring. It does not pick up a signal. Also something I forgot to mention is I am still using a trail because I dont want to pay for something I cant get to work. Could that be causing an issue?

The device shows up under midi. I have preferences set to enabled for input and output. Where things break down is when I activate record monitoring. It does not pick up a signal. Also something I forgot to mention is I am still using a trail because I dont want to pay for something I cant get to work. Could that be causing an issue?

You mean it doesn't recognize the midi notes or it does not pickup the audio?

On Reaper's meters, a single meter will display two signals.. the yellow input level and a secondary red MIDI signal (much thinner lines). Do you see either of these when pressing a pad or key?

Try setting up these connections :

controller.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: TAE
I am still using a trial because I dont want to pay for something I cant get to work. Could that be causing an issue?
Nope there is no difference between trial version of Reaper and the purchased version other than that you sent them some $$$ for providing an amazing piece of multitrack recording software. Based upon what you have reported it is for sure in your settings and routing. You just need to hunker down and study the tutorials and videos until you figure out how to get Reaper set up to do what you want. Good luck!

Both. It doesnt pick up any input.
Both. It doesnt pick up any input.
ok,, So Reaper recognises it, and you have enabled it.

But when you press a key, nothing is showig on a Reaper track, right?

If you have just created a track and armed it, it won't show any audio, because there is no audio coming from the keyboard.

It won't show any midi either, unbless you select midi as the input. See Spantini's pic above. When you create a track the usual default is channel 1 or L of your interface (or internal audio).

the meter does not show anything being played. track armed, the virtual instrument has been added device is enabled for input and output.

Well, that looks good. I tried working backwards from your setup here, to a point where I get your currently described situation. I found I needed to disable my SE25 controller in Options/Preferences to match what you're showing us.

In Reaper's top menu, start with Options and follow along - just to make sure it's set up correctly.

step.jpg

I did that as well with no luck. Starting to think I'm cursed lol.

side note, thank you all for your time and effort I am very grateful regardless of the outcome.
Screenshot 2021-07-22.png

Aside from Cockos BBS where I am sure you would eventually get this figured out. I'm pretty certain it is a routing / settings issue. There is a facebook Reaper user group...A member here at HR.com and there is Aron Carey (Pipeline audio) and he's brilliant with Reaper. He worked and still works with the founder (Justin Frankel) of Reaper ( and previously winamp) and the developers..here's a link to the Facebook group

I think I see it.. Go back to MIDI Devices and right-click your controller in the top half of the window. Then select Input ID and change yours from 0 to 1. Then go to the bottom of the window and Double LEFT-click your controller and UN-tick Enable (you want this to be disabled).

Your Enabled Input ID of 0 (zero) is what has prevented connection.

Something like this :

ooo.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: TAE
Well, that's got me there.. You should at least see thin red lines pumping up the track fader in the mixer section when a keyboard key is pressed. Those indicate MIDI signal.

Maybe try plugging it into a different USB port on the PC. Sometimes they go wonky with certain connections.

You may have to take it back to the dealer you purchased it from and have them demonstrate that it actually works. If it doesn't work, It may be too late for a refund but perhaps some sort of exchange could be arranged.

Last edited:
Back