REAPER V's LOGIC

Squiksilvery

ok....... fight!

I record bands, and do very little MIDI.... So I'm thinking of switching to Reaper, because its quick and stable, and Logic Platinum (as I run a PC) can crash from time to time. I will desperately miss Logic's "Fat EQ" and its delays, but I'm sure there must be some equivalent VTS plugins.

So, on an audio bias, what do people think?

For audio editing, and just plain performing basic functions, you'll have a way faster and easier time on reaper.

For MIDI, you are probably going to hate it :) Logic has the most comprehensive MIDI capabilities out there

Logic is excellent, no it does not "suck", if it did, hundreds of the music industry's best and busiest composers/producers/engineers would not use it, as they do now.
As Reaper is now, a modern composer will go for Logic and not even give Reaper the time of day... as for an audio producer/engineer, this is the question; and the question I am asking.

Reaper has been very quick to learn, with its different routing and new take on Folders and Busses, but I have not yet found any benefits from its features over Logic; apart from its stability.... again, hence reason for asking why I should defect.

and as for MIDI... I'm not talking MIDI, I'm talking: This process: mics, pre-amps, record, levels, eq, delay, reverb, fx, mastering... the usual live audio real recorded music stuff.

Please compare that, all you Reaper and Logic experienced folk. Why should "I"... Me... With what I do, switch to Reaper?

....and to be honest... for some reason, I do want to, I like the idea of using heart felt less comercial software! (perhaps its Apples attitiude with Logic... I don't know!)

I'll shut up now!

Working with different file format and sample rates seamlessly in one project has saved me tonnes of time, not just with loops but if I'm using files recorded (and maybe even compressed) elsewhere, be it 'on location' or just someone else's PC.

The fact that all my bandmates etc can have a play with a song in their own install of Reaper and then bring their ideas back to the table is awesome.

The supplied plugins are cosmetically dull as ditchwater but highly functional and add a wealth of value ... plus of course you open yourself up to a world of cheap-as-free VSTs from the web, meaning you can explore new sounds, effects and instruments for a cost of nowt.

I'm not a pro, though, or anything like. If I'm composing classical music I do it in Sibelius still but for audio Reaper just works how I want it to.

Hope there are one or two thoughts in there for you.

Please compare that, all you Reaper and Logic experienced folk. Why should "I"... Me... With what I do, switch to Reaper?

Editing in general. No need for constant tool swithing, autocrossfades, ridiculously complex routing options, 64 channels per audio track.

Made by actual audio engineers for audio, not a midi sequencer with audio added on later.

A paradigm that follows real world, patchbay, soldering iron and screwdriver philosophy

Logic is excellent, no it does not "suck", if it did, hundreds of the music industry's best and busiest composers/producers/engineers would not use it, as they do now.

Just as a logical point, the Argument ad popularum fallacy would also indicate Behringer is the best because its used by even more

But I wouldn't say logic sucks, it is an excellent sequencer

ok.... I've been playing with it a bit and....

well....

I think the ReaFIR is great, in principle, but it total thrashes the CPU - I put it through 16 tracks and the whole system went into slowmo... not good

but...

Reaper... yeah, I'm totally sold... bye bye Logic

the new logic which uses the macintosh as a dongle is 500 bucks and a ridiculously good deal

People who HATE logic say the new version is tolerable and they wont kill themselves if they have to use it

That's not bad at all. Reaper's still a better deal at $200 something for the commercial license. I still wish Reaper had its own built in editor, it's a little annoying to open audacity/wavesaur just to do a little pencil work (for example). Very minor, I know. Maybe in Reaper's future.

Since you're doing little MIDI work, Reaper would be the better choice. I like Logic's flow and design for the most part, but it crashes too often for me.

you might want to run sculpto...the way schwa is going with spectro and sculpto, we need to rethink the idea of offline destructive editing.

sculpto-1.png

you might want to run sculpto...the way schwa is going with spectro and sculpto, we need to rethink the idea of offline destructive editing.

Wow that's pretty wild stuff .... I guess this is another one of those paradigm shifts that seem to happen in or around Reaper.

Must try!

to say logic sucks is just plain ignorant.

I know some people that have passed up on MANY new sequencers, just to use logic 5.5.1 platinum for PC (some even using it today, still!). Some people have even switched to mac just to use logic.

apparently, it doesnt suck for many people.

As pipe said, logic's midi capabilities are awesome...

That being said, reaper's midi is no "bolt-on" addition to reaper. Its powerful and fast, although it lacks some nice features like groove quantization, etc..

lol

I said it for shock effect, and as well, to underline my appreciation for Reaper.

A buddy of mine (who is semi-pro at recording) is a logic user, and he loves it.

Logic doesn't suck - I suck for having never used it.

:)

lol

I said it for shock effect, and as well, to underline my appreciation for Reaper.

A buddy of mine (who is semi-pro at recording) is a logic user, and he loves it.

Logic doesn't suck - I suck for having never used it.

:)

its ok i found your disclaimer above :)

and you dont suck for not using it. I havent used it either, and i dont think i suck :)

Back