Reaper Latency Setting?

JerryD

I've been recording with a USB EMU 404, reaper, and a Tohsiba laptop which is dual core. I noticed that when I recorded bass and electric guitar it was one step behind the drums. I think this is a latency problem. Is there a setting in Reaper that will help ease the latency problems?

You'll need to set the latency on your interface as low as possible. As far as I know you don't really need to change anything in reaper. I could be wrong, but I always adjust the latency down on my interface for tracking, and kick it up for mixing.

Reaper should be adjusting for latency automatically I think.

If you're still getting latency on a track after you've hit stop, something isn't communicating with something else.

If you are using emu ASIO drivers click on ASIO panel on the audio device panel in options>preferences>audio. Lower that number and try again. Keep doing this till it starts to pop or crackle(that's when you've gone to far) and bump it up a little.
It takes some playing but its worth it, my emu 1212m is down to 2.3 ms latency on my 5 year old desktop.
If you are using WDM/KS or direct sound, switch to ASIO :)

b

Reaper should be adjusting for latency automatically I think.

If you're still getting latency on a track after you've hit stop, something isn't communicating with something else.

Reaper does for mixing with plug ins but not for live recording. That is done in the ASIO settings of the interface.

It appears that we are having problems with latency. We are using reaper plugged into a fast track pro, with dell c700 presario laptop. Does any know how to adjust the latency or have any other ideas?

When we record we start off with a guitar and voice scratch track to a click track and at the start of that the singer yells 1 2 3 4, just to keep everyone in time. Then we mute the click track and the drummer plays along to the scratch track. Once the drums are finished I redo the guitar and voice. The issue is that the count off is no longer accurate and is behind by a half step.

One thing you can do is make sure the audio isn't being routed through your sound card then through the fastrack. So I'd double check what the sound settings are in your preferences on the computer and in the DAW

Also, I believe the fastrack has a "mix" knob on it that basically controls latency. All the ways to the left is zero latency for tracking, and to the right would be more latency that will help when mixing. I think that is how it works.

Give those two a try and you should have no problems. Oh and make sure you have the latest drivers.

Back