Reaper Experts

nbrennan5150

Hey Everyone,

I am a semi new recording guru, i am wondering if there is anyone out there that can help me use reaper to it's fullest potential. I don't really understand how or when to use certain things like EQ's, Compression, Gateing, and so on... It's not that i am dumb, i just don't want to take away from original tube tone which i have always been a fan of.. Lately i have really seen this trend of MIDI and Direct In Recording Being the front runner for recording Metal and Jazz Bands.. I am looking for anyone who has any advice videos, tutorials and so on.. Im currently a student at Central Michigan University and Thinking about tranfering to Full Sail to make this my true profession... Other thank playing guitar itself, i have just become so obsessed with capturing real tone and creating masterpieces through recording.. Recording = Art

A few things i am definetly noticing so far is how to make my guitar solo's or leads sound in front of the music, they seem to be sitting behind the music not really punching out at you...

Another thing i have noticed when im recording Guitar particularly a 7 string when some low notes are played they sound a little too compressed and almost feel like they are bein chained down...

Another concern about reaper is ... Can you pick out say a part inbetween the recorded channel and mess with it without messing with the whole recorded channel??

Attached is a recording of My Band "Flesh and Blood Robot" Only thing is Me playing Both Guitars no Drums just used a metronome... Tell me if im heading in the right direction and please be honest..

Well i tried but it this website wont let me... Send me email n ill send it...
Thanks

Hey Everyone,

I am a semi new recording guru, i am wondering if there is anyone out there that can help me use reaper to it's fullest potential. I don't really understand how or when to use certain things like EQ's, Compression, Gateing, and so on... It's not that i am dumb, i just don't want to take away from original tube tone which i have always been a fan of.. Lately i have really seen this trend of MIDI and Direct In Recording Being the front runner for recording Metal and Jazz Bands.. I am looking for anyone who has any advice videos, tutorials and so on.. Im currently a student at Central Michigan University and Thinking about tranfering to Full Sail to make this my true profession... Other thank playing guitar itself, i have just become so obsessed with capturing real tone and creating masterpieces through recording.. Recording = Art

A few things i am definetly noticing so far is how to make my guitar solo's or leads sound in front of the music, they seem to be sitting behind the music not really punching out at you...

Another thing i have noticed when im recording Guitar particularly a 7 string when some low notes are played they sound a little too compressed and almost feel like they are bein chained down...

Another concern about reaper is ... Can you pick out say a part inbetween the recorded channel and mess with it without messing with the whole recorded channel??

Attached is a recording of My Band "Flesh and Blood Robot" Only thing is Me playing Both Guitars no Drums just used a metronome... Tell me if im heading in the right direction and please be honest..

Well i tried but it this website wont let me... Send me email n ill send it...
Thanks

Use dropbox, box.net, soundcloud, reverbnation, lightning mp3, or soundclick to upload your music. It will be easier to help you if we hear what it is you're doing.

You might try posting in the Reaper newbie area in the Cockos forums. You will probably get more hits there. It sounds to me that you need to download the tutorial with the sound files, and work through it step by step. It's well worth the time spent.

I don't really understand how or when to use certain things like EQ's, Compression, Gateing, and so on...

You need a basic recording manual, not something Reaper-specific.
Learn the basic concepts and they are applicable to ANY daw.

As to messing with just a part of the audio, you can use the split command (the S key) to break it up to the section you want to process differently and shift-drag it down to a new track and process it there.
Or you can learn to use the automation capabilities (its in the manual)... however that would be a bit more difficult.

Recording for dummies.

Read here.

Search for specific topics here.

Record record record. Don't worry about effects yet. Get mic placement correct. Learn mic placement for vocals and various instruments. To do this all you need to know is how to hit record in reaper. Then slowly add effects (compression and eq first). Keep it simple and learn. There is no magic bullet or substitution for time and energy.

Back