Reaper Audio or Cubase 3

Witterings

I'm still at the very early stages with all this and have the option of either using Reaper or alternatively Cubase 3 but at this stage only want to start using one as opposed to 2 different systems. Is one any easier to learn or better than the other and of so what are the advantages of one over the other ????

I'm still at the very early stages with all this and have the option of either using Reaper or alternatively Cubase 3 but at this stage only want to start using one as opposed to 2 different systems. Is one any easier to learn or better than the other and of so what are the advantages of one over the other ????

My vote for Reaper. Excellent, easy to use software cheap.

My vote for Reaper. Excellent, easy to use software cheap.

Thanks for that, thought it might be worth mentioning I don't have to pay for the Cubase, a friend who hasn't used it for a long time (hence why it's version 3) has said I can have his copy. That said if Reaper is better / easier to use I don't have a problem paying the $60 for it so it's not so much about the cost but ease of use initially until I start to get my head round it and if one is much better than the other ???

I've got the free trial and have been playing around with it, what's doing my head in though is then adding in effects etc, all I want is something REALLY simple (like me :p) and easy to use. Arming and recording is easy and straight forward but if you want compression and have to start putting in Thresholds, ratios, knee sizes, all things that I have no undertstanding of what so ever -it's way beyond me at this stage and I'd probably rather spend the time playing / practicing than learning it all in all honesty.
I'm only trying to record semi decent quality Demo's to be able to take to pubs etc to get gigs, they don't have to be "the best recording".
I'd love it if there was any way you could just add reverb and have one dial for more or less, similar to a small PA's mixing desk and the same for Compression.

I've got the free trial and have been playing around with it
Good. I've been using it a couple years now. It really doesn't get much simpler.

what's doing my head in though is then adding in effects etc, all I want is something REALLY simple (like me :p) and easy to use. Arming and recording is easy and straight forward but if you want compression and have to start putting in Thresholds, ratios, knee sizes, all things that I have no undertstanding
This wont have any doing on what DAW software you choose. The plugins and effects are all just that- plugins- they're vst and some come with a DAW, and some you can buy separately and some you can download for free. You're just going to have to learn what they do (or don't use em).

for what it is worth i just switched from sonar to reaper.

It is defintiely simpler, uses less resources and honestly looks a bit better.

I would go with reaper.

Im still breaking new ground with it and its full of pleasant suprises so far.

Good luck.

what's doing my head in though is then adding in effects etc, all I want is something REALLY simple (like me :p) and easy to use.

This will be the case no matter what application you use. It's all part of the process.

If you want simple, then yes, "Arming and recording is easy and straight forward". If you want to do more, then you have to be prepared to learn more . . . there is no escape!

Thanks for the replies, have spent another 4 hrs reading through and have managed to slot one more small piece of the puzzle in place, only another 22 million pieces to go :)

Did everyone else find this mind blowing when they 1st started and the sheer volume of how much there is to learn or is it just me ???

Did everyone else find this mind blowing when they 1st started and the sheer volume of how much there is to learn or is it just me ???

No . . . it's not just you.

Sticking a cassette in a cassette recorder, hitting record, singing something, then hitting stop is like putting a bandaid on when you get a cut.

Developing the skills and expertise to create quality recordings using contemporary equipment is like developing these to operate on a patient in a theatre.

I started digital recording in 1997 or thereabouts . . . I used Logic with an ISIS soundcard. It took me two months before I finally figured out how to record something!

Back