Reaper, Audacity, Pro-Tools, what to use?

That DOESN'T cost too much?

Don't get Pro Tools.

Reaper is probably the best bang-for-buck.

Audacity is great for being free, but it's not quite as powerful as Reaper. What are you using the software for? Will you be mixing as well or just recording?

Both mixing and recording, though I will also need to learn how to mix, something else I would like to do. What do you use for software? I heard Reaper would be a good cost-effective choice, though I'm not sure of the difference between any of them.

I use Cool Edit Pro 2, and I love it. I get some good sounding tracks from it. There's a good amount of free trial

Depends on your goals. If you're looking to learn the software and then work your way into a studio gig; ProTools is the only way to go right now.
If this is for personal use and will stay that way, probably best to go with something far cheaper.

What is a good recording software that doesn't cost too much?

REAPER's low price seems to work against it in a way. I keep reading people saying it's the best "for the price". It's not just the best "for the price", it's an awesome, powerful DAW that probably should be 4 times more expensive....but don't tell them I said that.

Go for REAPER.

I keep reading people saying it's the best "for the price". It's not just the best "for the price", it's an awesome, powerful DAW that probably should be 4 times more expensive....but don't tell them I said that.

^^^THIS^^^

Also considering you can continue to use Reaper after the free trial, (you just have a 5 second nag screen on start up) it makes sense to at least install it and give it a thorough work out.

Back