Reaper and Tascam US-1641 on new iMac 27" ?

AndreiR

Hello everybody!
I'm thinking of getting my first iMac ME089LL/A with Core i5 or i7 to replace my old PC windows vista.
On my old PC a combination of Tascam US-1641 interface with Reaper worked almost perfectly.
But how will it work with this new mac? Will I be able to use my old projects on a new system?
Will VSTs work (I have tons of them)?
Does anybody have a similar experience? Please share it with me.
Thank you for your help.

I guess I should add that I could just get a new PC, and a transition would be much simpler ( I guess)). It's just I also do some art and graphic design and "they" say that Macs have better color reproduction. Hence all this thing to switching to mac.
Also I use some external HDs for my music and other projects. Will I have to reformat the drives for use with mac?

I have the experience of moving to a new PC. Its not necessarily easy, once you go to a new operating system (and you should, Vista is pretty bad, Win7 is much better)everything has to be re-installed. If you have all your original software you should be able to just re-load onto a Mac. The thing I cant answer, is if you downloaded things like VSTi 's whether you are entitled to Mac versions from those online providers. As far as using back up drives etc, Im pretty sure you will need to re-format to go Mac.

So in summary, I think either way you will have to re-install everything, so its a matter of how much (software) you have that's Mac compatible. Overall I'd say go with what you want, If the Mac is really going to suit you better, get what you want. Sorry I cant be of more help, good luck!

Thanks PDP for your reply!
As I can see it, reinstalling programs shouldn't be so hard. One thing I don't know is how would I use/transfer my old projects and recorded files to a new, Mac-formatted external or internal HDD? ... or is it even possible?

You can transfer the data a few ways.

1. You can back up to DVDr s, put the data from your existing projects onto DVDr's then load them into your Mac.

2. You can use USB thumb drives, but that can get costly if you have a lot of data, of coarse you can re-use a thumb drive once your data has been transferred though.

I'm pretty sure PC DAWs and Mac DAWs can both run the same files. The PC you have now is all .wav files, I'm pretty sure a Mac DAW will run them. Hopefully a Mac user will come along to confirm.

I moved from Reaper PC to Reaper on iMac 2 years ago.
Zero problems.
Your Reaper projects will open just fine (minus any PC-only plugins of course)

OSX will READ pc ntfs drives just fine for moving files.
You'll need to format any external drives for osx of course.

I moved from Reaper PC to Reaper on iMac 2 years ago.
Zero problems.
Your Reaper projects will open just fine (minus any PC-only plugins of course)

OSX will READ pc ntfs drives just fine for moving files.
You'll need to format any external drives for osx of course.

Yay! Thanks TimOBrien! That sounds reassuring.

Back