Reamp feedback problem - what am i missing? Please help.

hnia6

This is baffling the hell out of me. Here's what I'm doing:

I'm re-amping using my TASCAM US-1800. Not counting the monitor outputs, I have four (2 pairs) balanced TRS analog line out jacks (numbered 1 thorugh 4) in the back. There are no other outputs.

I only get sound out of line 2. I don't understand why, but my bigger problem is coming below. My manual states the normal output is +4 dBu and to connect these outputs to an external mixer, recorder or other device.

I'm going from line 2 through my Radial ProAmp passive box, through my effects and into my Fender Deluxe Reverb. I can hear my previously recorded DI dry track through the amp. Not quite as nice as the guitar live, but good.

I have a two mics placed in front of the speaker at ordinary locations - used for live recording with no problems. One's a dynamic. One's a condenser. The phantom power is not used on the dynamic.

I am recording through Cubase Artist 6.

Here's the problem:

I can't get either mic above -24 on my level (about half way to zero) on either mic channel without terrible feedback starting. I can make the amp louder but then the levels need to go lower. I played with the gain setting on the ReAmp box, tried each mic seperately, moved the mics away from the amp some - didn't matter.

My suspicion is that it has to do with the TASCAM output. I had the exact same problem trying to use my Radial DI backwards as per it's manual.

Can anyone PLEASE help me figure this out? I want to record at the same levels as live recording.

Thank you in advance!

You have something set so that the input (microphones) are being routed to the output that is feeding the amp. That is what is causing the feedback.

You are absolutely right! Thanks! It just dawned on me. I have to MUTE the track being recorded. I am so used to watching my levels on the mixer out and completely forgot that I still get accurate levels going in on Cubase even when the track is muted. Problem solved! I also figured out that the outputs 3 and 4 are assignable but I didn't get any sound when assigning them. I'll look into that further.

A lot of people seem to be slamming the 1800, particularly for monitoring. I'm not seeing that problem. So far, I've been lucky and for the money, it does it's job. However, I find that the re-amp sound is not quite as good as it could be, but I can make up for most of it in Cubase.

There is some sort of trick to getting 3 and 4 to work, I don't have one so I can't remember what it is. There was a similar thread with the same problem last month, that's where I read the fix.

Try normalizing the track that you are reamping. The reamper might be knocking the signal down too much. (you could also turn up the gain on the amp)

Back