Realtime Effects?

Sirflex10

Yeah, Yeah, I'm a noob idiot beginner...Is it possible to hear effects while your recording or do I need additional hardware..from my understanding I need an external signal processor? Is that correct. Is there any software that will allow me to hear effects while recording vocals in real time and also adjust (add remove) effects in real-time. Thanks a trillion.

Yes, it's possible. At least if you're using Sonar

You need to activate Input Monitoring. In Sonar 2 you do this under Options -> Audio -> Input Monitoring. In Sonar 3 you click the "Input Monitoring"-button next to the "Arm Track"-button.

BUT you need low latency for this to work, and by low I mean under 5 ms. So a reasonable up-to-date computer and a good soundcard is needed.

Cakewalk is the company. Are you thinking about Pro Audio 9?

It's not possible to do in PA9.

Told you I was an idiot

Well i've been reading and it seems as if an audio interface is what I really need to accomplish the 'real time' effects. Is that correct? Or is it possible without an audio interface? (I'm recording to a computer) Sorry about being so dumb..lol

An audio-inteface is basically a soundcard, so no, you can't do it without one. ;)

if your recording vox it can't be done...i've tried with terrible results...sounds like your a robot talkin into a empty metal can and i'm talkin latencies at .7ms!...you would have to h/w monitor thru your sound card for zero latency...

Got It!!

Thanks guys, I figured it out...I can now hear the effects in 'real time' ...but like you said latency is the issue...

Teacher said:
if your recording vox it can't be done...
What?!?

I do it all the time. Works great!:) Nothing says "you're a good singer" like some reverb on the cans to the vocalist. :)

Minimizing latency

Now that i've solved my first problem, what is the best solution for minimizing this "Mt. Everest Echo" latency problem that I have.. I've read that decreasing the buffers would work..I did check to see that my mic line was muted , is it possible to use 2 sound cards? Is it possible at all to totally eliminate latency? What is the best way to minimize latency? Thanks alot!!

Re: Minimizing latency

Sirflex10 said:
Now that i've solved my first problem, what is the best solution for minimizing this "Mt. Everest Echo" latency problem that I have.. I've read that decreasing the buffers would work..I did check to see that my mic line was muted , is it possible to use 2 sound cards? Is it possible at all to totally eliminate latency? What is the best way to minimize latency? Thanks alot!!
You can not eliminate latency. However, if you can get it down to 5ms or less, you probably won't hear it.

The best way to lower latency is by using a quality sound card with good WDM (or ASIO) drivers and a relative decent computer.

You can lower latency both by lowering the buffers and moving the slider to the left in the Mixing Latency Section of Options > Audio > General. Your computer will tell you when you've gone too far, as you will start getting dropouts or funny noises. Remember to reprofile your sound card after making changes.

This thread just saved my sanity.

I was getting pops and snaps that sounded like a poorly-maintianed vinyl album when I used effects. Changed the latency a bit, reprofiled, and WHA-LAH!

I LOVE THIS BBS!

Back