Realtek Audio HD

Eluzion

What's up everybody? I recently purchased a new computer, a brand new HP with windows 7, and it came with RealTek Audio. :facepalm: My set up is simple, Adobe Audition, a condensor mic and a mixer with phantom power. Before this gave me amazing quality, and now I'm hearing static in the background, and my waves while recording instead of properly centered, the vocals are looking more on the top than the bottom.

I've messed around with RealTek trying everything to get the best quality possible and am still hearing way too much static for my liking, and as said before, my vocals not being centered.

Short on change atm and not looking to buy an external soundcard just yet, although suggestions are welcome. I've had many artists talking about programs to download, and other ways around the RealTek driver. This is what I'm looking for, any info is greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance for the help.

I'm afraid the Realtek leaves you up the creek until you can afford an external audio interface. They're designed mainly for basic playback tasks and the input is barely good enough for Skype phone calls. The static you're hearing is inherent in the 2 cents worth of hardware that makes up the Realtek--the device is simply noisy.

You can minimise the noise a bit by running the mixer output as hot as possible (before clipping)and turning down the input to the Realtek--but, in my experience, you'll never get rid of it until you completely bypass the built in sound card.

Sorry.

All built-in soundcards (i.e. Realtek) have about 40cents worth of parts and are made cheap for beeps, boops and light gaming.
You can't do anything about that.

You can use alternate drivers like asio4all to get better latency, but they will not help the quality of sound chips worth less than a candy bar.

#1 Rule of Recording: You MUST replace the stock soundcard.

I forgot to answer you query about the waveform not being centred. This is also the fault of the Realtek--it's a condition called DC Offset which is caused when you audio hardware lets a bit of DC current leak into the audio signal. This means that the audio signal (which is AC) swings around whatever voltage is present rather than 0 volts like it is supposed to.

The good news is that at least this is fixable. Audition has a facility to fix DC offset. Exactly where you'll find this function will depend on what version of Audition you have--on the most modern ones it's part of the Effects/Amplitude/Normalise menu but it was elsewhere on earlier releases.

Back