REALLY simple mixer question

jdavis

Hey there,
I've got a really simple mixer question, that SHOULD be obvious to me, but isn't. So, here goes. I recently bought a Behringer MX2004A mixer, with 20 channels. I used to simply go thru the mixer, down to two tracks stereo on a mulittrack deck. Now, if I want to record, say, 4 channels, simultaneously to 4 different tracks, how would I go about doing that? I guess my question would center around the outputs on the mixer. With just a pair or stereo outs, how do you record 4 different sources, onto 4 different tracks...at the same time? I don't get it!!!! Thanks for any help.

***Justin***

I dont know if the Behringer has outputs, but simplisticly enough
if you go -OUT- four different channels on your mixer, going
-INTO- four channels in your multitrack, you can do
4 channels at the same time.

Going stereo, into four different channels --is impossible--
the track will not seperate if you send it as stereo, only if seperated track1-kick, track 2-hihat, track 3-snare etc...

but if all that is together sent stereo out, it will all be together

Generally with all mixers, there are two ways -

If the mixer has "sub-outs" (I think your model does) you can route the sub outs to your recording inputs.

Otherwise look for the mixer channels to have "direct outs". This is an output tied directly to the mixer channel. Sometimes a mixer will have an "insert" jack which can double as a direct out.

Hey,
It has insert points, but I thought those were pre-fader/pre-eq. Am I wrong? If I wanted say, 4 separate tracks to come out of the mixer, post-EQ, would the insert points work for that?

Thanks.

***Justin***

Yep Alchuch is correct. (as usual ;))

My youth group "just" got that mixer (and I've only seen it twice) but from what I remember, if you press the mute/alt 3-4 button down, it will mute the signal at the main outputs and route it to the alt outs. So, then pan your signals right and left to the main and alt outs and you're in business. :)

And the channel inserts are (should be) pre-fader (just the master fader) but "post" EQ and the channel fader, at least that's the way it is on mine. So either way you want to do it should be fine.

Hope that helps. :)

-tkr

Back