REALLY simple MIDI question! Help!

appleking

Hey folks!

So...I've done a search for the answer to my ridiculously simple newbie question, but haven't found an answer...I recently bought a keyboard (a used Casio) with MIDI I/O and an audio interface with MIDI I/O. At present all I want to do is to send signals from the keyboard to the computer through the audio interface...so...do I need to buy only one MIDI cable (MIDI out from the keyboard to MIDI in to the audio interface) or am I still going to need two MIDI cables?

I did just find this in a MIDI tutorial:

"MIDI Interface OUT--------->Keyboard MIDI IN (if you are only using your software synths this connection is not required. If you want the computer to play the sounds on your keyboard, or if you want to connect a 2nd module it is required)"

http://www.tweakheadz.com/how_to_get_started_with_midi.html

Doesn't this seem to suggest that I don't need the second cable, provided that I don't want to use the keyboard sounds? My plan (at present) is to use the synth sounds in cubase...

THANKS in advance!

Do you want to use the sounds from your Casio or are you using it just to control sofsynths in your computer? How is your audio interface connected to your computer?

Basically, you need a midi cable from your keyboards midi out to your audio interfaces midi in. If your audio interface is connected to your computers USB, the midi probably goes that route, too. If you have a midi in directly in your sound card you can connect your kayboard directly there bypassing the audio interface as it doesn't really have anything to do with midi signals themselves, save to providing a way in/out.

gravehill's answer seemed a little indirect, so I'll answer too, more simply:

Doesn't this seem to suggest that I don't need the second cable, provided that I don't want to use the keyboard sounds? My plan (at present) is to use the synth sounds in cubase...

Correct, you only need the one cable to route MIDI messages from the Casion to the computer.

Back