Really High Frequency Sound on my Microphone

MusicMan9021

Well I have no idea why this is happening because it doesn't seem like the sound is coming from my room because it doesn't matter where I put the Microphone the sound is not changing at all.

So this is the Sound:

View attachment microphone.mp3

If anyone could help me I'd really appreciate this I've been stuck with getting a nice sound for months now.

Which make and model microphone is this?

My hearing can't detect very high frequencies here.. to me it sounds like room noise. That's not to say there isn't a high frequency in this.. I just can't hear it.

Which make and model microphone is this?

My hearing can't detect very high frequencies here.. to me it sounds like room noise. That's not to say there isn't a high frequency in this.. I just can't hear it.

Its a AKG P120 XLR Microphone

If you want me to I can post a louder version of it I just cut down the volume cuz else it would hurt my ears.

I looked at it - there IS a nasty spike at just over 8K and another at the first harmonic at 16K. Some people who can hear that 16K would find it very, very annoying. As to the cause - I suspect it could be the mic. Test by recording, and then unplug it but keep recording. If the tone vanishes when you unplug, it's the mic, if it carries on, it's your recording device input stage.

I looked at it - there IS a nasty spike at just over 8K and another at the first harmonic at 16K. Some people who can hear that 16K would find it very, very annoying. As to the cause - I suspect it could be the mic. Test by recording, and then unplug it but keep recording. If the tone vanishes when you unplug, it's the mic, if it carries on, it's your recording device input stage.

Thank you. That's right at my upper limit for high frequency hearing.

I just listened to an 8K test tone @ -3dB at very low headphone volume (1-2 level) and it was quite noticeable, but I can't detect it in these samples..
:confused:

I'm hopeless.. :p

So I did what u told me to do.
I think it might be the Cable because when I put my finger on to the metal piece of the XLR cable just slightly when it touches my skin the sound distorts even more.
There is nothing wrong with the audio interface because after I unplugged it the sound stopped but like I said when my finger touched the XLR Cable the sound started to distort even more you can hear it in the recording.

View attachment mictest2.mp3

---------- Update ----------

Recording starts at 0:20 forgot to cut off the empty parts

Attached is the normalized clip in Right Mak A. Yes, a plain 8kHz spike some 36dB above the noise floor
(the LF boost is either '1/f noise' or an artifact of RMA or a bit of both)

I would speculate that the mic has an internal oscillator to generate a polarizing voltage and some internal screening has come adrift?

Can I also make a plea for posters not to confound the terms "noise" and "distortion"? They mean very different things to most of us old techs and need different solutions. The catchall term "static" is rarely used this side of the pond and really belongs back in the early days of radio! It does not aid understanding.

Dave.

Attachments

• mic noise 8k.png
    mic noise 8k.png
    101.9 KB · Views: 7
What I was initially listening for was a high frequency tone which I didn't hear. What I do hear are two very loud thumps - as if a microphone set at a high volume had been switched on using the switch on the mic. Are those thumps the problem? They align with the sample wave Dave has posted.

Back