really dumb question (sorry!!)

geekgurl

I'm sorry to have to ask this, but I couldn't find anything in the archives that provided an answer. I guess my knowledge it at too basic a level; that's why I keep asking these damn questions about A/D conversion, because I'm trying to understand. Maybe one of these days I'll get it. Anyway, Here goes:

Say I'm using an external 24-bit A/D converter, like a Lucid; I've got an analog signal plugged into its input, and the output (I'm assuming) is connected to my computer via SPDIF. From what I've read, SPDIF is ALWAYS transmitting 24-bit signals (but I also read that some of these bits are 0 or "unused" if you're sending a lower-resolution signal.)

OK, so my question is, can I/should I plug an external, stand-alone 24-bit A/D converter into a 20-bit card? And will my resulting signal be 20-bit (limitation imposed by my card, eventhough not using their converters) or will it be 24-bit (limitation imposed only by SPDIF, the Lucid-type converter, and/or the software I'm recording into)?

The 20bit card will truncate the 24bit data. You would end up with a 20bit file.

How big of a deal that is I am not sure but you would really be defeating the purpose of having expensive high quality DAC in the Lucid.

The truncation will mainly affect the clarity and perception of the quiter parts so to counter that you would want to be sure and record as hot as possible.

Hold up Tex.. not necessarily true.

What is this 20-bit card you are using?
and am I assuming your Lucid is the ATA1000?

xoox

camn said:
Hold up Tex.. not necessarily true.

What is this 20-bit card you are using?
and am I assuming your Lucid is the ATA1000?

xoox

Hi Camn, the card I am using is an Echo Gina 20-bit. I don't have a Lucid converter. I'm just wondering if it'd be worth it to use ANY external 24-bit converter or device (some effects, preamps) that already have one.

Back