real name or not?

SacredDespair

ok, my name is Ethan Misenheimer and I'm performing solo music, and about to record an EP, my question is, should I promote myself under my real name, an assumed name or a band name? I would definitely use my real name if my last name wasn't so long, but it's length makes me wonder if it's usable. Any input is appreciated.

by the way, I know it's a matter of personal choice, but what would you do?

hm. what kind of music are you doing? different things are different for diffferent types. like, if it's you and an acoustic guitar, i'd say your name as is is fine. if you're making scananavian death metal, you have to work under the norwegian name for "I WILL EAT YOU SOUL."

Heck, just use your name. I do and it's longer than yours because I use my middle name too.

If it had been in a band like situation, even a one man band, then I'd think maybe a band name might work better.

yeah, I don't think I'm worried about the length necessarily, but more the difficulty of spelling it, Misenheimer's a pretty rough one to remember.

Ethan M. makes me sound more like a rapper, I think, I don't know, I do think I should have a full last name, I'm just wondering if mine could work and what would work if it wouldn't

In that case ur real name just makes you sound like a rapper. Check Robin Thicke. Real Name, not a rapper. Obie Trice, real name, is a rapper. Then just use Ethan. Thats good enough. And when u promote put it in all caps in impact

like this:

ETHAN

In that case ur real name just makes you sound like a rapper. Check Robin Thicke. Real Name, not a rapper. Obie Trice, real name, is a rapper. Then just use Ethan. Thats good enough. And when u promote put it in all caps in impact

like this:

ETHAN

Misenheimer is a cool name for a band... It wasn't Miesenheimer in the past was it (past generations i mean)? I'm considering picking a name in german for the band I'm struggling to start...

It's fairly common for musicians to select a stage name. If you do not feel a specific obligation to use your last name (which may be a little too much) perhaps use part of it.

Perhaps Ethan Misen or Ethan Heim. Since Ethan is a rather unique first name - even something like Ethan Jones or Ethan Smith would work (I suspect the Ethan would be what would stand out).

While anyone should be proud of a given last name and the heritage that comes with it - when promoting one's self, the reality is you want a name that people can pronounce and remember.

mikeh said:
It's fairly common for musicians to select a stage name. If you do not feel a specific obligation to use your last name (which may be a little too much) perhaps use part of it.

Perhaps Ethan Misen or Ethan Heim. Since Ethan is a rather unique first name - even something like Ethan Jones or Ethan Smith would work (I suspect the Ethan would be what would stand out).

While anyone should be proud of a given last name and the heritage that comes with it - when promoting one's self, the reality is you want a name that people can pronounce and remember.

Good idea! Ethan Heimer is a cool name :D

Ethan Mice

Shortens the last name, and makes people wonder if it has something to do with your name, or something to do with mice named Ethan... whoa - I think I just blew my own mind.

Granted, you are one person, and "Ethan Mice" is more of a band name than a stage name for a lone guy.

Soooo...

Ethan Meis! pronounced "mice", but not spelled that way. Again, blown mind.

nukeitout said:
Misenheimer is a cool name for a band......

+1

That was the first thought I had too.. its actually a great name for a band/act. Has some mystery/ and honesty (for when ppl realize its your name)

..<into the mic> .." Hello, I'm Misenheimer"

cusebassman said:
Ethanbert Humperdinck
+1. :cool:

I thought about old Englebert when I saw this thread. His real name is Arnold Dorsey. He CHOSE Englebert Humperdinck :D , which is the name of an Obscure composer.

I dont think it matters at all. It may have in 1940, not today. Politicians named Newt, Barak Obama?? Running for Prez with those names?? :D The biggest superstars in the classical world are named Zubin, Itzhak, Yo Yo ;) , Lang Lang, and Pinchas (Pinky). Gwyneth Paltrow, Laurence Fishburne, etc.

Most people changed their name because they were Italian or Jewish sounding. With a man named Guiliani running for Prez and the biggest filmmaker named Spielberg, thats in the past.

Back