Ready to go back to Tape

BenignVanilla

Oy. I am really getting frustrated.

I have Sonar 8.5 Producer running on a Quad Core machine with 7GB of RAM. I am connected to a MOTU 8pre. To say I am getting drop outs, is an understatement.

I am new to the 64bit world, so maybe this is a configuration issue, but I can't get anything done with this setup. It should work perfectly with this much horsepower.

Where's my portostudio? Tape ain't so bad...

How long have you been running this setup?

Did it work previously?

Is this system connected to the internet?

Do you have the correct driver type selected in the Audio options inside Sonar?

Have you visited musicxp.com or a similar site to optimize your system for audio?

-jake

Jake, thanks for the response. This is a new system, so I am still experiencing setup/growing pains with it. I'll check out the tuning site you recommended, and see if that helps.

back to 32

I have Sonar 8.5 Producer running on a Quad Core machine with 7GB of RAM. I am connected to a MOTU 8pre. To say I am getting drop outs, is an understatement.

I am new to the 64bit world, so maybe this is a configuration issue, but I can't get anything done with this setup. It should work perfectly with this much horsepower.

My friend uses SPE 8.5 too, but in "32 bit mode", and is quite happy.

I have less of a computer than you and run Sonar STUDIO 8.5 32 bit ASIO on XP Pro with 2) Presonus FireStudio Projects (16 xlr inputs) without a hiccup.

Scott.

More thoughts:

Make sure that your on-board (built into the motherboard) sound card is disabled (access during computer boot by pressing "del" key to access your system BIOS). Usually inside a menu called "Integrated Devices" and set it from Auto to Disabled.

D/L and install latest 8pre driver from www.MOTU.com
Cakewalk Driver Guide:
http://www.cakewalk.com/tips/ahg/
Setup Guide:
http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/hardwaresetup/asio.asp?man=MOTU

I know at one point that one of the chipsets powering FireWire plugs had poor performance with audio:
http://www.motu.com/techsupport/technotes/fw-chip-on-pci-and-pcmcia-cards

Good luck!

-jake

Go back to the good stuff.

Maybe try it in 24 or 32 bit mode just to get it running and then go to 64 bit to isolate the problem.

OK, so problem solved, but I am baffled by the solution.

My disk was max'ing out which was causing the drop out's. I added a second drive, put my data there, and now I am having no problems. Its odd to me. I get the principle, two drives with software on one, and data on the other is just good I/O design, but I have a dual core laptop with a single drive that never has this problem. I guess all SATA controllers are not created equal?

So I am up and running now without issues. I also solved some latency issues I was having by reducing unused tracksing, and disabling vst laden bins. My latency is now down to under 3ms. Nice.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

OK, so problem solved, but I am baffled by the solution.

My disk was max'ing out which was causing the drop out's. I added a second drive, put my data there, and now I am having no problems. Its odd to me. I get the principle, two drives with software on one, and data on the other is just good I/O design, but I have a dual core laptop with a single drive that never has this problem. I guess all SATA controllers are not created equal?

You need two drives to read faster,the cpu only processes what it can read.
One drive is a severe bottle neck.

You need two drives to read faster,the cpu only processes what it can read.
One drive is a severe bottle neck.

I have a laptop, so an extra internal drive is out of the question. I do have a 500gb external I use to back up projects via USB 2.0. Is this a viable, permanent solution if I were to properly integrate the drive, or is USB too slow?

I have a laptop, so an extra internal drive is out of the question. I do have a 500gb external I use to back up projects via USB 2.0. Is this a viable, permanent solution if I were to properly integrate the drive, or is USB too slow?

There's plenty of people recording on laptops just as there are people recording with one hard drive(I used to)my explanation was only in response to BenignVanilla's wondering why the second drive helped.It may not be the reason,but all things point to that.

I have no experience with USB drives,but everything I've read regarding them being used as a data drive has been negative.

Back