Reading List - Recommended Books

jimfrusciante

Hi

I know there are a lot of books out there, and I was just wondering if anyone had particular favorites, especially along the lines of historical technical information to do with the Famed studio experamenters.

I personally own "Modern Recording Techniques" Which seems like a good general introduction,
and I just bought one of Craig Andertons home project studio books which I await in the post, purely becasue I like his effects sereis, even though most of it evades me.

I'd be really keen to find some "interesting" books about mixing for analoge - project studios, funny thing is I'd love to read about semi pro's from a really human level, although I very much doubt whether such a document exists.

Cheers

Jim

check out "Behind the Glass" by Howard Massey.
It's all about the BIg Guys, but there is some REALLY good ideas and insights if you can read 'tween the lines.
Its the kinda book you can skip around in.
I liked it anyway.

tape op...

A cool book I found is "Tape Op: the book about creative music recordings." It is edited by Larry Crane (the man who started/runs the Tape Op magazine). It is pretty much a book of interviews w/ semi-pro and pro musicians and engineers. It has a real human element to it. I found a lot of valuable things by reading the interviews...but Im a sucker for interviews.

Good sources for the type of info you describe are old music magazines from the mid 80’s to early 90’s. Look on ebay for Electronic Musician, EQ, Music Technology, Sound on Sound, and Home & Studio Recording. Lots of profiles of home and project studios, as well as reviews of now vintage equipment when it was new and recording tips from the analog days.

-Tim :)

"Mastering Audio: The Art & The Science" by Bob Katz.

Some of it is geared towards masterers, which I am not... but this thing is a Bible!

Thanks a lot for that, those should keep me going for a while.

Ha! I develpoed the skill to read between the lines last thursday, excelent I can see if it works in literature.

Cheers

Jim

Books!!

"The Complete BEATLES Recording Sessions" by Hamlyn...an unbiased album by
album take by one of the engineers at the studio. Very informative regarding
work sessions by the top group of the time. More useful to me than most of the dry technical books, it shows how some songs evolved thru sessions, and other
songs were very quick, well written songs with few overdubs.

Oh my God! This is UNREAL or totally WEIRD! Just several days ago I posted the recommendation and link to the "Guerrilla Home Recording..." book and it was like #30,000 on Amazon's sales rank and NOW it's like #12,000 and only 5 copies left!!! HA! If this is how our recommendations affect people reading this forum, no wonder Analog gear is on the UP! LOL!!! :eek: :D ;)

~Daniel :)

technoplayer said:
Consider yourself the "Oprah" of HR.com!!
You recommned a book and it becomes a bestseller!! :D

LOL. Thats IT! From now on, you are OPRAH!!!!

It was #9,147 yesterday!! 2 copies left!!! :eek:

Shit, sorry, had to check again ;)

Yours truly,

Oprah ;)

Back