re-naming tracks + clicks with Silence in Edit

downonthestreet

Thought I had just about exhausted my basic questions, but here's another couple.

1. If you make a mistake naming a track in Multiview or want to rename a track/tracks for some reason, can you do it? No doubt a simple matter, but I can't work it out.

2. I am finding that when in Edit and applying Silence to selected sections of a track (say, when not satisfied with a section and looking to re-record the flawed section on another track then mix the 2 tracks to make one good one), I am left with a click at the "joins" (ie: at both ends of the section where Silence has been applied). Any suggestions on avoiding this annoyance, pls?

Cheers

To accomplish the first: after you have saved the track, go to Open Session, right click on the track you want, and click on "rename," just like you would for any computer file. Just make sure the session recognizes the track with the new name. Adobe Audition allows you to add tracks to the session that have been alienated that way, but I don't remember about CEP.

The second requires going to Options/Settings and ticking the box that says something like "Use all zero crossings" so the silence will commence at a point where the waveform is crossing from + to - (or vice versa). That should eliminate clicks.

Have you considered doing punch-ins to cover your mistakes? To do this, highlight your mistake...start a few seconds before and highlight to a few seconds after. You will notice that the green boxing glove button will be an option now. arm your track for recording and click the boxing glove. You will see that your track turns back green all except for the highlighted part...which is still armed for recording. Now, when you hit your record button, you can start to play along with the track. once the playback gets to your mistake, you can keep playing along and it will cover your mistake with the new track. I think this is a better than what you are doing currently.

thajeremy

Yeah, thanks for that. Your way is certainly neater - and probably easier- than what I've been doing. It gets confusing having so many tracks comprising only small sections of corrections, silencing out the flawed parts of the original, and bouncing the lot down to a single track after all the corrections are done...I guess I knew there must be some way to punch in and out, as you commonly do with analogue multitrack recording, but until now I didn't know how.

Your advice brings to mind another question, actually. How do you cut and paste "good" sections to replace identical parts that aren't so good in a single track?

It would be very handy for me to know how to do that at the moment, because I have found that I can't get the guitar tones I want through DI-ing my Telecaster - the only way I've gotten close is by amping up the guitar and miking the amp. Problem is, it's not neighbour-friendly, and it would be great to be able to cut and paste instead of re-doing flawed sections at amped up volume. (Also, I didn't make notes as to my exact guitar tone, amp and effects settings, so duplicating the guitar tones I have recorded is problematic).

Would be grateful for advice on this.

Cheers

If you are recording to a metronomr, then you can cut and paste. If you are not using one, then you better have GREAT timing or your parts wont line up.The only way I know how do do what you are trying to do is just by pasting the part where you want it and right clicking on the part to drag it right or left until it lines up. Also, you mentioned before that you are having problems with clicking where the "seams" are in the track. You will probably have better results if you go far enough ahead of the mistake to where there is silence, OR if you zoom WAY in and "seam" it right at the start of a note and the same for the end of a note.

I recorded a crowd of folkies last year. They played with "feeling," so a lot of work had to be done.

Rather than punching in, which was an alien concept to them, I recorded a new part in synch with the original (that had whatever glitch in it) on a fresh track. To put that in English, I played back the song and had the player listen through headphones while he or she played along and I recorded it. I could then find the section I wanted to replace, highlight it, and press F12 for Edit View, then Effects/Silence. Of course, I made a note of the beginning and ending timing for the section I was replacing! Then I went to the new track, careful to copy the section with exactly the same beginning and ending times, then paste into the original track. Sometimes it took a couple of tries, but it was something I could do without the "talent" looking over my shoulder.

The same cut & paste will work if you have a note or several notes out of time; copy (Control+C), then insert silence, and paste (Control+Shift+V). This takes a pretty meticulous attitude, but it can be done. The important thing is to identify where the beat is in relation to the start of the section you are moving, and then where the notes fall. It IS doable!

thajeremy said:
Have you considered doing punch-ins to cover your mistakes? To do this, highlight your mistake...start a few seconds before and highlight to a few seconds after. You will notice that the green boxing glove button will be an option now. arm your track for recording and click the boxing glove. You will see that your track turns back green all except for the highlighted part...which is still armed for recording. Now, when you hit your record button, you can start to play along with the track. once the playback gets to your mistake, you can keep playing along and it will cover your mistake with the new track. I think this is a better than what you are doing currently.

I've noticed after you do this the punched track is now it's own separate track which creates problems if you then need to edit the track(s) in Edit mode. Like if you wanted to add noise reduction or EQ, you'd have to do it to all tracks. What's the best way to overcome this? Should you immediately mix all the takes into one track?

hawk said:
I've noticed after you do this the punched track is now it's own separate track which creates problems if you then need to edit the track(s) in Edit mode. Like if you wanted to add noise reduction or EQ, you'd have to do it to all tracks. What's the best way to overcome this? Should you immediately mix all the takes into one track?

just right click in the newly made track and go down to "split/merge" or something like that and it should join the tracks into one.

Back