Re-Learning keyboard......help

thane1200

Medicated Member
Hi guys, once upon a time in a land far far away; I used to take piano lessons (I kick myself in the ass for not sticking to it). :o

I've been plugging away at "re-learning" by myself, but was wondering if there are any good websites or books that could help me out. :confused:

Right now I'm just trying to remember chords and scales and working them into my production, but I'd like to be able to realy play an entire song.

I remember the notes ie. 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, whole etc. and I remember a few bits and pieces of reading sheet music. F A C E and E G B D F. Is there anywhere I can download little kids songs (sheete music style) to practice....I'd rather not spend my hard-earned money on "mary had a little lamb" and the like, or "old king wenceslas(SP?)"

thanx for any help

PS. What the hell was the Treble Clef, and how is it differecnt than other Clefs?

[EDIT] found something Link

Last edited:
This ought to confuse things nicely ;)

http://www.music.vt.edu/musicdictionary/appendix/clefs/clefs.html

And, yes, some are actually in regular use- I THINK violists use the Alto or Tenor Cleff???

[EDIT] Well, I guess I should leave something of actual use here - pianists only care about the bass and treble cleffs. The treble/G cleff "points" at G - that's a stretch in my opinion, but that's what they say. The bass/F cleff's two dots surround F.

So, in the treble (typically found in the right hand part, though in music that's all over the keyboard, the clef can change in the middle), the spaces from bottom to top are FACE, making the lines EGBDF. In the bass cleff, the spaces are ACEG, and the lines are GBDFA.

If you are concerned about wasting time with Mary Had A Little Lamb - I can suggest something that worked for me. When I was in my late 20's early 30's I decided to take some "piano lessons" I was self taught to that point and had some chops but I wanted to improve.

I found a teacher who was willing to work with me on things like theory, circle of 5th's etc. (rather than teahing me a song each week). I found that to be much more help than trying to follow some pre-scripted teaching schedule. However, it can be a little harder to find that type of teacher - since most instructors have a fairly set routine.

I have several books which I'll look through and post again if I find something that I can recommend.

The treble clef is the top clef which in essence is everything above miidle C - the bottom clef is the bass clef - whcih is everything bolow middle C. I am not a good reader, but I do find the clefs to have value for two main things 1)quickly finding the key signature of a tune and 2) an outline of the melody. However, a chord chart gets me through a piece of music much faster (if you know the chords it should be relatively easy to figure out the melody line within the chord sequence).

mikeh said:
If you are concerned about wasting time with Mary Had A Little Lamb - I can suggest something that worked for me. When I was in my late 20's early 30's I decided to take some "piano lessons" I was self taught to that point and had some chops but I wanted to improve.

I found a teacher who was willing to work with me on things like theory, circle of 5th's etc. (rather than teahing me a song each week). I found that to be much more help than trying to follow some pre-scripted teaching schedule. However, it can be a little harder to find that type of teacher - since most instructors have a fairly set routine.

I have several books which I'll look through and post again if I find something that I can recommend.

The treble clef is the top clef which in essence is everything above miidle C - the bottom clef is the bass clef - whcih is everything bolow middle C. I am not a good reader, but I do find the clefs to have value for two main things 1)quickly finding the key signature of a tune and 2) an outline of the melody. However, a chord chart gets me through a piece of music much faster (if you know the chords it should be relatively easy to figure out the melody line within the chord sequence).
Thankyou for the info.

Hey, that piano guy that sells teaching videos is also on PBS about twice a week. I was watching him this past Sunday. He'll have some guest keyboard players there and they play some decent licks. I'm going to set my record timer on the days that he's on. :)

Hi Thane, nice to meet you. You know, I had this same dillema when I took up key-boards, and wanted to play in a band with my husband, who is a guitar player. Basically I wanted someone to teach me how to play along in a band. Teaching me songs to play didn't really help, as all the styles were old fashioned, and I wanted to play modern music. What sort of music do you want to play?, and have you got a band?. Anyways I realized after a while, that what I really wanted them to teach me was how to play rythmes, and wicked riffs, haha.............catch ya......Barb

Back