Re Amping - where do you get your distortion?

Scooter B

While I of course plan to do trials of different ways of doing this I was wondering when reamping all your electric guitars who had a preference for

1. Getting the guitar about as distorted and EQ'd as you want it on the way in and reamping that with a fairly "flat" setting on the amp versus -

2. Staying fairly clean and flat on the way in and then getting your desired sound from the amp (and mic positioning/pre-amp etc)

I would imagine both options would have their place.....

I am currently working on an original song that would be hard to really get into playing clean so I recorded everything so far with Tele > SansAmp Pedal > JM VC6Q and into my Yamaha AW16G with the guitars as close to the sound I want to end up with as I could get...I did not even have a guitar amp for a while until yesterday and picked up a Roland Cube 30 for recording.

Perhaps I will record the three guitar tracks fairly clean as virtual tracks to A/B the two approaches using my Radial X-amp for the reamping and do one mix of each method.

Anyone been down this fork in the road?

Scooter B said:
While I of course plan to do trials of different ways of doing this I was wondering when reamping all your electric guitars who had a preference for

1. Getting the guitar about as distorted and EQ'd as you want it on the way in and reamping that with a fairly "flat" setting on the amp versus -

2. Staying fairly clean and flat on the way in and then getting your desired sound from the amp (and mic positioning/pre-amp etc)

I would imagine both options would have their place.....

I am currently working on an original song that would be hard to really get into playing clean so I recorded everything so far with Tele > SansAmp Pedal > JM VC6Q and into my Yamaha AW16G with the guitars as close to the sound I want to end up with as I could get...I did not even have a guitar amp for a while until yesterday and picked up a Roland Cube 30 for recording.

Perhaps I will record the three guitar tracks fairly clean as virtual tracks to A/B the two approaches using my Radial X-amp for the reamping and do one mix of each method.

Anyone been down this fork in the road?

good question. i've always wondered this.

Well I did some 'sperimentin and layed down a clean Tele part as a virtual track but this song really requires some fuzz and it just sounded so anemic....

Sansamp pedal into the amp sounded good for some things live.

I was unimpressed with the Senhieser E609 silver for micing this modeling amp and so far prefer my only LDC (an MXL V67M) for micing it.

Still have to tryout my Octava MC012's and the SM-57 but I have a feeling that up close micing of this Roland Cube 30 with the COSM modeling is not going to be as good as a condensor backed off a little. Four inches off the grill seemed to cause the least amount of phasing with this mic and amp combo mixed with the DI'd track.

Of course if I can find that really killer tone with just just the mic'd signal I can do without the DI'd signal at mixdown and not worry about phase issues.

Reamping is normally used to run the sound through a different signal chain. You start off with just the guitar DI'd into the recorder. Then you run it through an amp that you don't have access to all the time (or what ever).
If you have an amp and sansamp combination that you like, just mic it and be done. Reamping is more or less for going a different direction at a later time.

the best part about reamping is being able to change the sound of the amp later without having to play the whole song over again.

if you need the distortion to "get into" the song you should try using the pass thru on your DI. something you could try is running your guitar into the sansamp DI then to the AW16. also run a line from the pass thru of the DI to the amp. that way you are tracking the clean guitar with the sansamp but you are hearing the distorted sound of the amp. you could also mic the amp and just record 2 tracks at once. that way you have the distorted sound if you like it AND you have the clean sound for later on if you decide to change amps.

My purposes for reamping are a little different but not uncommon.

Since I pretty much just record myself at home (with a wife and kids around most of the times) I always DI first and reamp at an opportune time and I have a signal going the the amp so I can adjust the mic positioning etc...that is pretty tuff to do when you are playing the part as well as tryng to find the optimal mic position.

Thanks for the replies;)

Back