re amping question

stephenmodel

i am building a re amp box and just was wondering if the signal chain for recording the guitar initially is correct. I will take my Les Paul and send it to a art tube mp to split. one will go to the amp and one will go to the tascam us-2000. will this work alright. I know i will be running it through a mic pre but i really want to have a dry signal AND a amp miked at the same time. After recording i would then to the re amping.

Alternatively, i suppose i could plug the guitar in the front line/instrument input on the tascam and the send the output to the re-amp and then to the amp while recording but i am worried that this might increase latency.

Also i suppose i could just run an amp sim on the dry signal and not worry about a miked cab at this stage but i would prefer the first method.

Would a a/b/y splitter be better that the art tube mp. I mean i am sure the art tube mp will color the sound and i think that it might not be acceptable. I will of course try it out but i wont get the re-amp box until next week

At a glance, the Tube MP doesn't have instrument level inputs, so I'd forget that.

I'd either go into a DI input on your interface and then reamp later,
or Buy a DI box which will let you send a mic level signal to a pre, and the instrument level passthrough to an amp.

If you're worried about latency with option one, do a test.
Import an mp3 then reamp it so you have have the original and the reamp.
Measure the difference between the two then compensate for it in future.

Sorry....what was the question? :)

The simplest way is to split the signal coming from the guitar. One goes to your amp so you can hear what you are playing, and of course, you can still mic the amp and record that signal too.
The other split goes to a DI box and into your recorder/DAW....which is a clean, dry signal.

The Art is listed as a feature "Provides Superior Preamplification for: Microphones, Instruments and Line Level Sources"

but besides that perhaps a dual output DI would be the best thing. I would if i can find a DIY direct bos with 2 outs.

For whatever reason i want to have a little fun and build something. The re amp box is simple and cheap so i wanted to build and try that.

Steve

The Art is listed as a feature "Provides Superior Preamplification for: Microphones, Instruments and Line Level Sources"

but besides that perhaps a dual output DI would be the best thing. I would if i can find a DIY direct bos with 2 outs.

For whatever reason i want to have a little fun and build something. The re amp box is simple and cheap so i wanted to build and try that.

Steve

There seemed to be a few different models, so apologies if I missed that,
but as you say, a DI box is really the best solution either way.

If I understand correctly, a DI box is the reverse of a reamp box, excepting that a DI box outputs mic level too.
Perhaps you could diy the both of them?

A reamp box is the opposite of a Di in concept only.

a reamp box takes a line level signal and outputs an instrument signal.

A Di takes a line or instrument signal and outputs a Mic signal.

If you run a Mic signal into a Di box backward you will get a line signal out. If you run a line signal into a Di backwards you will get a signal that is louder and even higher impedance, not an instrument signal.

They are two different things.

A reamp box is the opposite of a Di in concept only.

a reamp box takes a line level signal and outputs an instrument signal.

A Di takes a line or instrument signal and outputs a Mic signal.

If you run a Mic signal into a Di box backward you will get a line signal out. If you run a line signal into a Di backwards you will get a signal that is louder and even higher impedance, not an instrument signal.

They are two different things.

Yeah, I'm not suggesting he builds a one size fits all, or that such a thing exists.
I'm saying they are similar enough simple, passive units. He could build one of each?

Sorry, I didn't word that very well.

Also be careful about splitting signals. If you don't have active pickups on your Les Paul depending on what you use to split the signal you may end up loading down the pickups. This won't hurt them but it will suck your tone and make your guitar sound, "thin" or "weak" or "weird" etc.

Either put a buffer (or well buffered) pedal between the guitar and the split or make sure that the splitter you are using buffers the signal to avoid this

Bristol, what do you mean by buffer? My les Paul does not have active pick-ups. Also i would need both it to be miked and di i direct as the guitarist like to have some feedback for performaces but i would like to capture the rhythm just in case to reamp.

so basically the chain would be this
guitar --> splitter --->output A: Amp ---> Output B: DI ---> Line Input on Tascam us-2000

The front inputs on my tascam us2000 are both XLR and line/instrument inputs. the rear 1/4 inputs are only line inputs. This means i can plug my guitar into without a DI. I think that is what i mean.

Bristol could you please explain more about the buffer?

STeve

The active circuitry in a pedal will isolate the guitar from the load of the things that you are plugging into. when you plug a passive guitar into more than one thing, you run the risk of the combined impedance make you guitar sound crappy .
Putting an active circuit between the guitar and the two things you are plugging into keeps that from happening.

This is why most dis designed for this are active, for this reason.

ahhh i gotcha now. Each link in the chain will lower the signal so you need to make sure it is stable through the connections.

steve

Sorry to hijack...but while we're on the topic of re-amping...there is a take my guitar player recorded of a solo the other day and listening to it the next day, his close mic was a little TOO close sounding, a little harsh. His room mic sounds amazing and I also have a DI signal. Instead of ditching the close mic track and using an amp sim on the DI track as the MAIN sound (with room mic for added ambiance), I'd like the main to be a mic'ed guitar track and not have to have him do the 45 minute drive to my house just to redo that part when I already have his dry Di performance, and his amp still at my house!

How would you guys run the dry signal out to your amp? As in, how loud would you have the track as it runs out to the amp (it's a Mesa Triple Rectifier Combo) and would you use any box in between the line level signal and the amp (I ask becuase I know keyboards are line level and you can run THEM stright into an amp)? I have a TASCAM US-1800 interface with 4 line level outputs. The DI signal has been originally (when tracked) of course ran into a low impedance input on the front. Level it came into Pro Tools is about -15 dB on the track meter.

Whattya think?

The front inputs on my tascam us2000 are both XLR and line/instrument inputs. the rear 1/4 inputs are only line inputs. This means i can plug my guitar into without a DI.
STeve

That's true, but you want to guitar to go through the amp too, right?

The DI box serves as a proper splitter as it has a passthrough function (to amp) and an output to mic pre.

If you don't want the amp to be live while you're recording, then yes, you're right.

Ok i got it now. I think i will build a re amp box and a active di box. Both are relatively simple to build and should be fun. I also work in an electronic repair shop and if anything is a bit off i have electricians that can help me identify the problems. Thanks a lot for the help.

Sorry to hijack...but while we're on the topic of re-amping...there is a take my guitar player recorded of a solo the other day and listening to it the next day, his close mic was a little TOO close sounding, a little harsh. His room mic sounds amazing and I also have a DI signal. Instead of ditching the close mic track and using an amp sim on the DI track as the MAIN sound (with room mic for added ambiance), I'd like the main to be a mic'ed guitar track and not have to have him do the 45 minute drive to my house just to redo that part when I already have his dry Di performance, and his amp still at my house!

How would you guys run the dry signal out to your amp? As in, how loud would you have the track as it runs out to the amp (it's a Mesa Triple Rectifier Combo) and would you use any box in between the line level signal and the amp (I ask becuase I know keyboards are line level and you can run THEM stright into an amp)? I have a TASCAM US-1800 interface with 4 line level outputs. The DI signal has been originally (when tracked) of course ran into a low impedance input on the front. Level it came into Pro Tools is about -15 dB on the track meter.

Whattya think?

all you need is a re amp pedal for and plug it in between you line out from the 1800 and the amp. This will bring the signal to instrument level. Then just mike the cabinet and change the settings until you have it right. Re amp boxes are quite cheap. I want to recording all my guitars this way so in issues like what you have there is less running around and more fun experimenting.

I have a good guitarist but he would get frustrated playing stuff for hours to get the correct sounds. This lets me record him and fiddle with the sounds and then he can come back and the settings are ready to go.

Also this lets you double things with different amps and have them miked.

Back