Re-amping? Is it this simple?

Maybe. I'm not sure what thell I'm talking about right now. But I think this clears it up for me:

OK, I'll experiment. I have the choice of plugging my guitar into a switchable "Guitar/Line" input and putting that on "Guitar"....OR.....I also have the non-pre-amped inputs in the back of the unit.

I guess whichever one gives me a lower signal when I plug my guitar into it, would be the one that would get me closest to a guitar pick-up level?

Well you don't just want "low signal", you want THE signal. Ideally you want exactly what the guitar puts out, no more, no less. That's why a "guitar" in is useful, or an input that bypasses the preamp. If you can get that, you're halfway there. From there, if you can get that pure unaffected signal back out to the amp at the same level that the guitar naturally kicks out, then you're pretty much all the way there. That way your amp will respond like an amp that actually sees a guitar....for the most part.

To hear the difference, just try it and see how your gear reacts. Record a direct signal, reamp it the way you wanna do it, and save the track. Then plug your guitar right into the amp with the same settings and record it. See how the two tracks differ.

To hear the difference, just try it and see how your gear reacts. Record a direct signal, reamp it the way you wanna do it, and save the track. Then plug your guitar right into the amp with the same settings and record it. See how the two tracks differ.
Exactly what I'm going to do. Thanx a lot dude. :cool:

Exactly what I'm going to do. Thanx a lot dude. :cool:

Cool man. Post up the clips so we can hear it too.

I'll even give it a go myself. Reamping is something I've never really messed with in great detail. I've piddled around with it for other people, but not my own stuff.

Cool man. Post up the clips so we can hear it too.

I'll even give it a go myself. Reamping is something I've never really messed with in great detail. I've piddled around with it for other people, but not my own stuff.
You know, ever since I bought my Fender amp, I found it was taking me a lot longer to finish tunes because of the volume and when I can play loud, etc.....It was holding me back. And even when I did get to record guitars, I didn't experiment enough. I just played to get it over with, always thinking the neighbors can hear me, etc.....But I also didn't want to switch to sims. I love staying up really late and recording, and I wasn't able to rock out at 2am like I used to before I bought an amp.

So, I'm thinking re-amping might be the perfect solution for me. On top of that, it's pretty cool to be able to change guitar tracks, or even send someone else my DI tracks if I ever wanted to see how someone like you might treat them with your set up, for example.

You know, ever since I bought my Fender amp, I found it was taking me a lot longer to finish tunes because of the volume and when I can play loud, etc.....It was holding me back. And even when I did get to record guitars, I didn't experiment enough. I just played to get it over with, always thinking the neighbors can hear me, etc.....But I also didn't want to switch to sims. I love staying up really late and recording, and I wasn't able to rock out at 2am like I used to before I bought an amp.
But on the plus side, your guitar tracks have improved tremendously, to me anyway.

So, I'm thinking re-amping might be the perfect solution for me. On top of that, it's pretty cool to be able to change guitar tracks, or even send someone else my DI tracks if I ever wanted to see how someone like you might treat them with your set up, for example.
Sure, if you ever wanna run your stuff through some loud ass Marshalls, send em my way.

The biggest problem to me with reamping is that you can't get that glorious feedback. You don't get that interaction between man and machine. Even to a hack like me, I can feel what I'm doing interact with a loud amp pushing back at me. It's awesome. Cool stuff like that goes away with reamping.

But on the plus side, your guitar tracks have improved tremendously, to me anyway.
Cool. Well,that's nice to know. I definitely enjoy recording with a good amp.

The biggest problem to me with reamping is that you can't get that glorious feedback. You don't get that interaction between man and machine. Even to a hack like me, I can feel what I'm doing interact with a loud amp pushing back at me. It's awesome. Cool stuff like that goes away with reamping.
For sure. I'm still going to track with the amp whenever possible. But there are going to be those nights when I can't crank the volume, but want to get some recording done. I figure a good compromise would be to track with a sim sound as close to what I want on the track, and then re-amp the direct-sound track at a later time.

Did a quick test last night. Turns out that doing my tracks by plugging into a "Guitar" level input, and then taking a direct line out into my amp gives me the same sound and level as plugging my guitar into the amp. Sounded great.

One more question...this might actually be more of a TASCAM US-1800 or a REAPER question, but anyway.

Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't look like I'm able to audition sounds from my amp on the fly with the rest of the "band" playing. I have to solo the DI guitar track that's going into my amp, and I don't see a way to send that DI track into my amp while also hearing the whole mix at the same time. Does that seem normal?

Can't you set the output for the DI track to channel 3 or 4 to send to the amp and still listen to the normal mix on output 1/2?

Can't you set the output for the DI track to channel 3 or 4 to send to the amp and still listen to the normal mix on output 1/2?
That's what I'm trying to figure out. It's not like a board with inserts and separate outs. I'm trying to see if there's a way to assign the outputs for individual channels. I'm not even sure if I look for that in REAPER or in the US-1800.

Wish you were using Reason...it's really as easy as switching a few cables on the back of the rack there. Haven't played much with Reaper, as I only use it to rewire SSD (and I just got both).

Wish you were using Reason...it's really as easy as switching a few cables on the back of the rack there. Haven't played much with Reaper, as I only use it to rewire SSD (and I just got both).

Not sure if the DAW is what matters. It might, but I don't see how. Changing wires, etc....would have more to do with the capabilities of the interface, no?

Acutally, now that I think of it, you're probably right. If I can find a way in REAPER to assign "track 12" (for example) to Output 3 (for example), that would solve my issue.

That's what I'm trying to figure out. It's not like a board with inserts and separate outs. I'm trying to see if there's a way to assign the outputs for individual channels. I'm not even sure if I look for that in REAPER or in the US-1800.

What Broken_H said should work.
It should be something you can do on a track-by-track basis in Reaper.

This would explain why you were worried about feedback before though. :p

What Broken_H said should work.
It should be something you can do on a track-by-track basis in Reaper.

Is reaper currently set up to allow you to audition record-armed tracks whilst playing back a session? Say, for a few vocal run throughs with the reverb on, for example?
I think so, but that's not the problem.

My issue is that, to get my DI'd guitar track to the amp, I have to solo that track so that I don't send the whole mix into my amp. Once I solo that track, I obviously can't hear the other tracks. I need to find a way to NOT have to solo the track to get into my amp by itself. So, I have to figure out if REAPER has a way of assigning an individual track to output 3, since my main mix is coming out of outputs 1 and 2.

Okay, think I got it. Right click the fader for the channel. In the right half on the bottom of the box, you'll see the channel number (pair)=>output channel (pair) : MIDI. Click the down arrow for the output channel and select 3 or 4 and use that output on the back.

---------- Update ----------

If only the DI track is outputting on 3, you can still listen to the rest of the mix on 1/2, yes?

Okay, think I got it. Right click the fader for the channel. In the right half on the bottom of the box, you'll see the channel number (pair)=>output channel (pair) : MIDI. Click the down arrow for the output channel and select 3 or 4 and use that output on the back.

---------- Update ----------

If only the DI track is outputting on 3, you can still listen to the rest of the mix on 1/2, yes?
I'll try that. But when I roght click on the fader, I don't get anything on the bottom right side. The rightest/bottemest thing I see is the "Add new recieve".

BUT....there is an option for "Parent Channel" in the top right of the left-hand section of that box. I'm going to try that. Thanx man, you definitely sent me in the right direction.

I think so, but that's not the problem.

I was jumping ahead, but it's probably not relevant, thinking about it. :p

My issue is that, to get my DI'd guitar track to the amp, I have to solo that track so that I don't send the whole mix into my amp. Once I solo that track, I obviously can't hear the other tracks. I need to find a way to NOT have to solo the track to get into my amp by itself. So, I have to figure out if REAPER has a way of assigning an individual track to output 3, since my main mix is coming out of outputs 1 and 2.

Yeah, I do this kind of thing often enough. BH is bang on. You should definitely be able to route any track to any hardware output.
If you're doing any kind of reamping or parallel hardware processing use 3+/or 4 so you don't disturb the main mix.

Would you not do this for the track in the In/Out Routing for the track?

Set the output to the one you want on the US1800 and untick Master/Parent Send. Then you should just have the received audio from the amp coming back on the other track.

I think?

io.JPG

Not sure if the DAW is what matters. It might, but I don't see how. Changing wires, etc....would have more to do with the capabilities of the interface, no?

Acutally, now that I think of it, you're probably right. If I can find a way in REAPER to assign "track 12" (for example) to Output 3 (for example), that would solve my issue.

The point is, in Reason there is a virtual SSL 9000 and a virtual fx/mastering/output rack and you literally can look at the back and change cables (like you would with analog equipment.) It is REALLY simple to do what you're asking.

Back