Re-Amping guitar. Will this work?

Now which amp will work the best? Mark V? Recto? Triaxis? DC-5? F-50? Hughes and Kettner? ENGL? We are looking for a FAT, Full metal assault. I guess only time will tell.

Maybe even bring in a Fractal Axe FX. Anyone have experience with those? Youtube vids make it look like something any studio guitarist could not live without.

Its all about experimentation and finding what sounds the best for our recording. We will be renting a variety of MESA amps, ENGL's, that would cost several thousand dollars each to buy. This way with the re-amping, the performance is done, now we can concentrate on getting proper mic placement, and dialing in the amp exactly the way we want it.

Yeah...you can do it that way, but most guitar players play TO the amp, and the *performance* is about the feedback/interaction they get instantaneously from the amp as they play.
With your approach, you're removing all of that and treating guitar recording no differently than pulling up sampled sounds and replacing existing tracks with them. :rolleyes:

Since you are renting all those great amps...why not let the guitar player(s) find the tones while trying out the amps and then just record the actual performance with the amps/tones that are chosen? ;)

I'm just finding it very amusing how all of a sudden some people feel they *need to* re-amp in order to feel secure about their guitar tone choices and recordings...yet millions of fantastic guitar tracks have been cut without re-amping. :)

Once you fall into that re-amp "need"...you'll always feel like that's the only way you can track guitars. It will become a crutch. :D
Have fun guys.....

"Now which amp will work the best? Mark V? Recto? Triaxis? DC-5? F-50? Hughes and Kettner? ENGL? We are looking for a FAT, Full metal assault. I guess only time will tell."

Mesa Recto/Peavey 5150 is a pretty well known combo in the Metal production community. I really dig ENGL though. Lots of good stuff tracked with all of those.

Yeah...you can do it that way, but most guitar players play TO the amp, and the *performance* is about the feedback/interaction they get instantaneously from the amp as they play.
With your approach, you're removing all of that and treating guitar recording no differently than pulling up sampled sounds and replacing existing tracks with them. :rolleyes:

Since you are renting all those great amps...why not let the guitar player(s) find the tones while trying out the amps and then just record the actual performance with the amps/tones that are chosen? ;)

I'm just finding it very amusing how all of a sudden some people feel they *need to* re-amp in order to feel secure about their guitar tone choices and recordings...yet millions of fantastic guitar tracks have been cut without re-amping. :)

Once you fall into that re-amp "need"...you'll always feel like that's the only way you can track guitars. It will become a crutch. :D
Have fun guys.....

We are trying to come up with a unique tone. We feel doing what "most players do" will lump us in with everyone else. Thanks for the comment
and you make some very valid points, we will evaluate everything, and if we feel we need to re-play something we will. We have some very good direct tones that allow for feel and dynamics.

That's cool.
I wasn't trying to be an "anti re-amp" dick. :D
I just like commiting to sound/tone choices at the time of tracking and letting it work itself out within the mix, sort of the "as it falls" approach. Plus, I know how tedious it can be during the mix session if you have like 50 options to pick from and then you sit there and audition each/all of them, and by the time you are done, you're back where you started from! :rolleyes: :)

So I was just suggesting that you not get too bogged down with having too many options to deal with at mixtime...the old "keep it simple" thing, but yeah, I sometimes end up going too far and over-complicating things.

Good luck with your tone quest.

You need a reamp box to convert from line level to guitar level for the amp (ReAmp, Radial)

You will probably spend a lot more time looking for tones that way, than if you had just found the tone to begin with and recorded it with a mic in front of your amp the first time you played it. ;)

We had great success doing the re-amping. we brought in a Radial X-amp box. It worked well and gave a clean signal to the amps.

WE brought in 4 amps.

-Mesa dual Rec 1/2 stack
-Mesa mark 5
- Peavey 6505 combo
- H&K Tube Addition combo

The Mark 5 just didnt cut it for the type of music we are doing. The H&K sounded great in the live room ,but we could not get a usable tone once it was miced.

We ended up doing the 6505 and the Dual Rectifier. With the X-amp we were able to record both amps at the same time. pretty cool.

What I really liked was have the time to actually think and really listen to the amps as we tweaked them. It is hard in the studio to separate being the guitar player and produce/engeneer. So by re-amping it gave me the brain power to really listen and make the neccessary adjustments.

This may not be the way to go for everybody, but if you are unsure about what amps to use, how to set them etc.... this may be the way to go.

I was also shocked at how well the Peavey 6505 sounded. HONESTLY it kept right up with the MESA dual rectifier. Once you get the gain of the Peavey under control, it really is a nice sounding metal amp.

Here is a quick video of what we were doing and how it sounds. What cracks me up is I am listening to me playing guitar but Im actually running the camera.

YouTube - MONSTER METAL AMPS !!!

Thoughts?

So did you find the unique tone you were after by doing it with re-amping?

Not sure about the "unique" thing, I dont think we have anything groundbreaking, but I do know we did get some nice real amp tones that will help our mix.

The unique process will come once we put em all together and sort out the direct tones and the amp tones I hope and then what combinations work together for each song.

Do you hear anything unique in the video? I personally dont, but it does sound PHAT !!! which is always good:cool:

I'm probably going to get a re-amp box (all this talk got me more curious) just to have and mess with occasionally. As I mentioned earlier in the thread...I just hate getting bogged down with production decisions at mix time, so that's why I've not bothered with re-amping before....I fell there's already too much to decide on at mix time, but I'll see how it works out on a couple of songs after I get one.....

I'm probably going to get a re-amp box (all this talk got me more curious) just to have and mess with occasionally. As I mentioned earlier in the thread...I just hate getting bogged down with production decisions at mix time, so that's why I've not bothered with re-amping before....I fell there's already too much to decide on at mix time, but I'll see how it works out on a couple of songs after I get one.....

Good luck. Please post some recordings when you do. Thanks for all the help and advice, much appreciated.

Back