Re-amp anything?

Canobliss

I tried reamping a snare track through a mesa amp and cab. It sounded pretty good. But is this safe to do or could it mess up my amp? The main thing im worried about is the sharp transient of a drum hit.
Can pretty much anything be reamped as long as care is taken when setting levels etc?

yeah, there's no problem with that. Remember to correct for any delay shifts going back into the DAW. You can definitly screw up your phasing if you don't.

However I'm usually weary of tubes on transisents. Such as the ones I assume are in the mesa cab.

Yeah I always make sure to adjust for phasing. The tube thing is exactly what i am concerned about. ANybody know for sure either way?

i think he's just saying that tubes might not respond quick enough to the transient, and might "smear" the attack a little bit. it certainly won't hurt the tubes. their are tubes in some mic pre amps, right? not a problem there.

re-amping a snare... now that I've never thought of.

I still have yet to re-amp a guitar. I got really excited when I learned about re-amping but I haven't tried it yet. (I just learned about it last week)

Jimbo Jones said:
i think he's just saying that tubes might not respond quick enough to the transient, and might "smear" the attack a little bit. it certainly won't hurt the tubes. their are tubes in some mic pre amps, right? not a problem there.

exactly my point. Tubes really give an unnatural sound to transients.

I would worry more about what level you are outputing to the guitar amp. Honestly, I don't know if it could damage it at all, but never hurts to be careful. Just be sure to use a re-amp box, which you may already be doing. I just felt that I should mention it. :D

Jimbo Jones said:

Ahhh good point, duh. It might have smeard the attack a little but when mixed back in it fattened up the sound and added some low end punch.

I still have yet to re-amp a guitar. I got really excited when I learned about re-amping but I haven't tried it yet

Reamping is great! A little time consuming. But it is cool to record gtrs late at night direct then crank the amps in the daytime and reamp the takes. Also send the same take through multiple amps etc.

Thanks for the answers. I hope I don't get too carried away with reamping.

Back