rcktdg look!!!

harley96

Yeah, welcome to the world of trying to insure audio gear.I was in the same boat and my insurance company would not insure my equipment even though it was in my house.I had to get a business policy for $500.00 a year.From what state farm told me is the reason behind it has mainly to do with this occupation being high risk.If you happened to record somebody and there not happy with the results or if you record somebody and they violate intellectual copyright laws than you could be liable for damages.They also told me due to people coming into my residences to use the studio that there is a higher chance of slip and fall,etc.I went through Insurezone Com of Illinois Inc./St.Paul Business Foundation series.I am covered for $20,000.00 worth of equipment,property coverages ranging from outdoor signs to sewer drain backup and of course fire,etc.Additional options:accts. receivable $25,000.00,glass,inventory,newly acquired property,outdoor trees,personal effects,employee theft,fine arts,property off premises,valuable records,etc.As far as liability $1,000,000/2,000,000 occurence/aggregate.Medical pmts,tenant liabilty,etc.I have never had to use it but I guess it's worth it in the long run.There are alot more things covered in this policy but you get the jest of it...:D

Sounds promising

Was there any requirement to qualify as a business or did you just say "hey, okay, I'm a business. Sign me up." Or did you have to provide ID#'s, tax stuff, etc. I'm not sure if I want my "not for profit" rock band to be scrutinized over our fifty dollar gigs.

Thanks for the info! Cheers, BB

Re: Sounds promising

rcktdg said:
Was there any requirement to qualify as a business or did you just say "hey, okay, I'm a business. Sign me up."

Exactly, no you don't have to fill out tax ID forms or anything.But for $500.00 if you guys do alot of gigging it could be worth having business insurance.My policy covers my gear off premises but I can't remember how much,I've never had to use it like most of my insurance policies but it's peace of mind.I'd get about 10g's if my damn wife would lose her wedding ring...:cool: but it will never happen...:rolleyes: :D

This sounds like something that would be very practical and the cost seems pretty reasonable. I will make it my mission next week to see what I can get around here. Thanks so much.

Cheers, RD

Back