Rc1 and one layer or just two layers?

rjdinsmore

I have built a room inside my garage (four new walls and new ceiling, none touching the house walls and ceiling). I am about to order my drywall and do not know which is better. Should I go with two layers of drywall or is it best to do a resilient channel and one layer of drywall? I am leaning towards the double layer as it seems going the resent channel route would be quite redundant.
Thoughts?

More I read, the more I have discovered how easy it is to short out a resilient channel. It's extremely easy to ruin everything. Also, you DO realize that hanging things on the wall will be another thing in the chain to either a) short out the channel or b) add extra weight to the wall causing it to droop down and vibrate with the floor. So goodbye acoustic panels, bass traps, pictures, shelving, cupboards, etc!!

I recently decided to forego the channel in my current soundproofing efforts in my new studio build which i have a current running post on here about it right now. At least you can be sure with double drywall that it will deaden the sound more than one layer. If you F#ck up a single layer with RC, then you are still stuck with just one layer!

Use double at least, also ask them about sound barrier (or some such name) drywall, I used Soundchek Gyprock (oz name from drywall) it is over twice the weight of normal drywall for the same thickness (more compressed) and the sound resistance is much higher. Almost like using 2 layers of the usual stuff.

Alan

2X the weight drywall? Yikes, I struggled doing regular weight myself. And that was 15 years ago when I was a youngster!

2X the weight drywall? Yikes, I struggled doing regular weight myself. And that was 15 years ago when I was a youngster!

Not only is it twice the weight, it comes in larger standard sheet sizes LOL you really need 4 people to unload the delivery truck, which I did not have. Once you cut to size it was not so bad, but the ceiling was a challenge as we wanted to use the full sheets where possible, there was a nifty gadget that I hired from the building equipment hire place that you laid the sheet on and jacked it up into location for fixing, worth every cent of the hire fee.

The difference between standard sheets and the soundchek stuff is huge especially with the bass frequencies.

Cheers
Alan.

yeah, I've seen those sheet holders used on This Old House. 4'x12' sheets as standard, rather than 4'x8'? I did 4' x 6' panels for the ceilings in two upstairs rooms in my house (one sloped/knee wall in each room) and those were a bitch by myself. I made 'T' helpers with 2x3s to hold things up. Exhausting work!

yeah, I've seen those sheet holders used on This Old House. 4'x12' sheets as standard, rather than 4'x8'? I did 4' x 6' panels for the ceilings in two upstairs rooms in my house (one sloped/knee wall in each room) and those were a bitch by myself. I made 'T' helpers with 2x3s to hold things up. Exhausting work!

I am currently using firecode 5/8 stuff which is about twice the weight!! 4x8. I did my ceiling with it and my interior wall that i built to "wall-off" the room from the rest of the basement. The outside walls (concrete block) I just did with 1/2 inch regular. As for mounting to the ceiling, it was a b!tch indeed! But stop being a wuss and just do it! Man up. haha.

I had my dad assist and we also used these clips which we bought long ago for super cheap and have never seen them since. You basically put the temporarily drive the clip into a nearby stud or joist in a way so that you can thrust your drywall up over top of the clips on one end (the short end), then have a guy holding at the other end, or you can also have a clip at the other end that has a little pivot on it so you swing the part out that supports it and holds in up. Then your hands are free to go around and start TACKING IN the drywall screws. Don't go too tight or you will drive the screw straight through! Tack em in slowly and delicately, then once the sheet is snuggly up against the ceiling joists, go around to each screw and really reef em in there with a drywall bit to create a little divot/ring around the screw head so you can fill it with drywall putty/compound/mud.

Then rock out with your c*ck out!

Back