Rattling Handles Marshall 1960B

PhiloBeddoe

I have a Marshall 1960B cabinet that is rattling like crazy on certain resonant frequencies when palm muting. Farview helped me a while back with a tip to put weatherstripping around the edges. This definitely helps the back of the cabinet from vibrating, but the handles have started rattling like crazy. I've tightened the screws and stuffed cloths into the handle cases to try to dampen the rattling, but cannot stop it completely.

Are there replacement handles that vibrate less? Should I just remove them for recording? Is there another way to lower the resonant frequency out of range, say by adding some wood mass on the inside of the cabinet?

Many thanks

I'd remove the plastic handles; pull out the plastic end plug that attaches the "handle tube" to the handle cup; slather a bunch of glue into the handle tube and jam the plastic end plug back in as tight as you can get it. That'll take care of one rattle, and it also takes care of the annoying problem of having to tighten the handles every few months.

Then, before you re-attach the handles into the cab, run a bead of transparent silicone adhesive around the flange of the handle cup; press the handle in place, and re-attach it with the screws. This will help make the handle air-tight, and well finally stop them from rattling, at ANY volume. This is what I did to my 1960A when the handles started rattling. ;)

Back