Rates?

scorpio01169

Not sure this is the proper place for this question, but it's about tracking. For those who have house amps and or drums for people who come in with not so great gear, are you charging them for use of this gear or is it hidden in your base/hourly rate?

I can only speak for the "good ol' days" but we used to let 'em use whatever was around for the most part. On the $$ side, it was usually after (sadly) wasting a bit of time on their gear. So it typically worked itself out.

If the recording is an on going project and they are on the day hourly rate (based on what an hour would be as part of a full day booking which I call the project rate), I let everyone use what they want from the studio for free.

If it's one of those bookings that that band tells me they can record an album in a few hours because they are really rehearsed and the songs are only 3 minutes long, and they are paying the full hourly rate that I charge for the breakneck speed projects, they get charged for using the gear.

In other words I help the clients that record sensibly and come back.

Alan

Same - I usually include the potential cost of using my kit into my rate.

I'd rather have repeat business than try and itemise everything every time. Most people are happier with one price (all inclusive) rather than seeing an amp in the corner (for example) that's more suitable than theirs, but not being able to use it because they havent paid the extra £5. Also saves me a bit of confusion with billing/accounts (if you're doing them) - I know up front how much I'm taking and the paperwork is all nice and simple.

Customer service first if you want people to come back.

Back