Rate the octava mk012 please...

philboyd studge said:
Same thing, I had a guy about three weeks ago with a music minus one CD of Sinatra covers......I didn't bother, I just used the C-1.

So, maybe we should ask ourselves "Whats the biggest mic made?" Those RCA ribbons were good but there must be something bigger.

re20 is pretty huge, too :)

And to contribute something to the thread: I think my matched pair of oktavas is one of the best purchases I have ever made. I just love them as drum overs in ortf and the omni on horns and acoustic.

ORTF

Moelar2:
ORTF is a stereo miking technique using two cardioid microphones angled 90 degrees away from eachother (so, the mic on the right should be facing right and the one on the left should face left). They are also supposed to be 17cm apart. Thanks to Harvey Gerst, there is a wealth of microphone information like that here:

http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=27030&perpage=25&pagenumber=10

Its long, but its more then worth reading. Oh, and Harvey, as if you haven't heard it enough, thank you for your time and patience sharing your knowledge. I'm new to this forum, but I already have learned so much. Hope you see this. Peace,

Conway

BTW I think the angle between the mics in ORTF is supposed to be 110 degrees. The angle is supposed to be simulating the difference in level stereo that occurs with human hearing - the larger angle is used because of the baffling effect of your head. 17cm being the distance between your ears is supposed to simulate the difference in time stereo effects. This info was on the DPA site Harvey linked to in his post.

Hmmm.... You're right about the DPA site. I was simply going off what Harvey said. I don't actually use ORTF myself (I like XY), so I'm not entirely sure about the angle. Sorry if I gave incorrect info.

Conway

"What Guitar Center has the 012's for $99?!?!?? I have never seen them cheaper than $150 at Guitar Center or anywhere for that matter. "

I originally found the $99 price in a new musicians friend mag.
Since Guitar Center bought MF I called and asked if they would
honor the MF price & they reluctanly did. Better get one while the current mag is still good if you want that price!

I actually went back yesterday and bought a second one, because the first one sounded incredible for the price!
I hate waiting for things to ship, so my impatience paid off!

Thanks for the tips on this little wonder!
Sponge Bob

Hmmm. So how difficult would it be for you to maybe, I don't know . . . SCAN that page out of Musicians' Friend and . . . oooh, I don't know SHARE it with a few of us?

Something like that just might give you rock star privilages on this board.

Disclaimer to moderator: This was a joke.

Some things have been said about The Soundroom ( oktava.com) on this forum. Here's another:

Yesterday, I decided to order one of those nice cedar boxes for my MC012 pair, but had some trouble getting the order to process through the Soundroom website. I called and left a message and Taylor returned my call, apologized for the difficulty, and said he would send me the box immediately with an invoice, and for me to just send him a check later. BTW, this is the first time I've ever dealt with this company!!

That gets big thumbs up from me for customer service.

A heads up on the new Musicians Friend catalog price. Mk 012 $ 99.99 They also have an MC 012 with 3 capsules, mic holder and cedar storage box for $249.00

I also have a couple of questions:

1. What is the difference between the MK 012 and the MC 012 other than the extra capsules and cedar box? Are they the same mic?

2. I already have a MK 319. Which would be better for recording acoustic guitar, the MK 319 or the MK 012?

The MK and MC-012's are the same mics (those silly Russians). As far as acoustic guitar, the 012 would be my choice. I've tried both and prefer the 012.

Has anyone tried the mc012's on toms? i used them on toms with the pad and i think they sound really good. nice and clear.

Jesse

MK=McKay Oktavas
MC=Sound Room Oktavas.

Do a search on Oktava and you'll see the many discussions on this.

Yes, Guitar Center has had MK012s for $99, but with only one cartridge.

MK012s, according to microphone mavens on r.a.p and elsewhere, have ongoing problems with internal component failures, particularly wet-slug capacitors leaking.

I have two of the MK012s. Recently used one in a double micing on a nylon string acoustic. The other mic was a Shure KSM32. Used the MK012 up close and the KSM32 over the shoulder of the guitar player.

Gave a great sound with very little noise from either mic.

I would rate the 012 around a 7 or 8.

Sounds like the 012 gets a 7 or 8 by what I've seen here. What would rate a 10 and what would I be listening for? I'm one of those that might hear something and say "That sounds reaaaly good" but due to lack of experience I'm not sure what it is that makes it sound so good. My MK-319 is the best sounding mic I have but seems a bit weak on warmth but it could just be my voice. Unfortunately I can't afford to keep buying to try different mic's out.

Ellis11 said:
Sounds like the 012 gets a 7 or 8 by what I've seen here. What would rate a 10 and what would I be listening for? I'm one of those that might hear something and say "That sounds reaaaly good" but due to lack of experience I'm not sure what it is that makes it sound so good. My MK-319 is the best sounding mic I have but seems a bit weak on warmth but it could just be my voice. Unfortunately I can't afford to keep buying to try different mic's out.

try earthworks. I have recorded classical guitar with them, with the 012 as backup/room mic. If you can live with a little higher self noise, they are something you should consider, they sound a lot smoother and more realistic, and deal better with transients.
If you want the "real thing" you should consider neumann, mbho, sennheiser or schoeps sd-condensors.

After stopping in the local Guitar Center I took a look at the MK 012's that they had. As it turns out the GC pirce sticker says MK 012 but the mic is marked MC 012. So I guess that pretty much blows the idea now on identifing where they come from. Anyhow I paid the $99.99(Musicians Friend price match) and bought one.

So now I have both a MK 319 and a MC 012 to play with. I know very little on recording techniques but knew I want to get better results on both vocals and acoustic guitar. I know when I hear something really good and wonder how that sound was achieved but lack the experience on how to get there. So now I'm back at the <Recording Techniques> forum with more questions.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=45621

What would rate a 10 and what would I be listening for?
I have a pair of Octavas and a pair of Earthworks(SR-71's). My opinion is there both about an 8, just different flavors. In my opinion, the Neumann KM-184 I recently aquired would approach a 10. Lots of airy, open top end without the harshness.

Track Rat said:

I have a pair of Octavas and a pair of Earthworks(SR-71's). My opinion is there both about an 8, just different flavors. In my opinion, the Neumann KM-184 I recently aquired would approach a 10. Lots of airy, open top end without the harshness.

I don't know the 184 (not yet...), but try both the oktavas and the earthworks on violin or a percussion instrument like a triangle, you will understand why i rate the earthworks higher (despite of their higher self noise)

Back