Rate my voice please.

Moody. Could be stronger, sustain more at the end of each line. More emphasis on some key words, which you do a bit, but not enough I reckon. Reminds me of Pavement, Nick Cave. Nice work :)
And Tindersticks!

Last edited:
I mainly listen to east indian music so take it with a grain of salt.

You sound very polished. Has a nice timbre to your voice.

The words were't very clear. If you sing like you are saying it someone , it comes out better.

The guitar sounded kind of cheap compared to your voice:)

Thanks, will work on pronunciating! I think I'll put a poster up and sing to it like I'm talking to someone! Ha ha. Maybe Scarlett Johnassen...

I think I have a tonal mismatch on the guitar and the mixer board (impedance) - no headroom or something- I have a DI box coming in a few weeks should give it some tone... the whole bottom/midrange is gone for some reason when its recorded direct. Maybe I just need to EQ better... Sounds better with a close mic..

I'm not noted for my tact around here, so I'll just be blunt: when you have to use that much reverb on the voice, it's to cover up problems and you have a number of them. Your range is limited, and this is very apparent when you try for higher notes. You don't sustain your notes and you have a lot of trouble matching pitch. You don't have control over your vibrato.

That said, you have a fairly unique sound that, I think, has potential if it's developed. I'd suggest listening to yourself without reverb. The standard recommendation is voice lessons, but I suspect you can improve considerably by listening closely to your favorite singers (or, at least, the ones whose vocal quality you'd most like to emulate) and try first to match, exactly, what they do.

Thanks- will try those suggestions :) Appreciate the feedback. I never thought of that- emulating a singer to see if you can do what they do... Sounds challenging. I tried it a few times with Willie Nelson, he has a unique voice. I guess people like Willie found out how to keep their voice where it sounds good and in their range.

Agree with PT. Try the simple "breathe as you walk" dynamic training. Simply inhale for one step, exhale as smoothly as possible for 7. Repeat as you walk. Builds diaphragm, helps breath control. Also try doing some standard pronunciation drills like Red Leather Yellow Leather. (just keep repeating it in rhythm and get it as fast as you can). There are others, but this is the only one I remember from my vocal coaching 25+ years ago. Vibrato is a tough gem to cut. You will either sound weak or forced until you sound polished. It just works that way. Keep working on it! Great voice! Happy singing.

Back