Rappers: How long did it take to find your ideal rap voice?

kratos

Rappers: How long did it take to find your ideal rap voice and what did you do about it to achieve it?

not a rapper, but why don't you be you and stick with what you got and not try and find an "ideal" voice?

i think what joe meant was that when u chant rap or whatever lingo u use...
u like to find a style a way u vocalise the raps or flow of words...
If u got a deep voice for example u might hit it slow enounciate everything right have a nice flow of words...
Me I got a deep voice but I have range I like to rap fast and slow always tho with flow...

Hm...Im not sure yet if thats my ideal voice just the one Ive been using...

IMO it should never be found. Your voice should be you. Trying new things is what music is about. If your comfortable with doing something then you arent trying enough new things.

I'm just saying, don't try and be anyone else, like a lil wayne or w/e. The reason is: when you are 40 years old, you don't have to try and remember what you lied about when you were 18. Just be you, that way you never have to explain your actions.

u have to find your voice .... becuz when recording.. the mic, the equipment, etc is going to catch the whole range of your vocal tone.. u have to make a conscious decision to either let teh whole natural range just go..or to stick to 1 particular "area" of where your voice can go.. its just like singing..only not with actual "note" holding..
think about it.. how many male singers sing high pitched octaves, but when they talk, they sound regular...
its about tryin to sound like someone else.. like lil wayne.. he puposely decided to caricature his voice for a certain effect that distinguishes him from others.. but that itself is a conscious decision...
run dmc.. the style they developped was not their NATURAL way of speaking or talking etc..
im not sayin mimic someone else.. but .. your voice will always sound a little different unless you CHOOSE to present it in the same way everytime
for me - i love it when i get a cold.. i spit verses with a sick raspy voice and it sounds even better than my regular voice.. but im not tryin to keep a dam cold.. i just take it as it comes (but i do voicechanges on the regular--cuz i like the emotions that seem to come from the vocal tone)
by the way... plz check out this example -- word 2 my papa by BreadWinnaz dem VaBoYz "word to my papa"

Back