Rap song

lukmen

Today I did a very quick recording. It was like live rap song. Live drums (I only recorded Kick with sm57 and both hat and snare with Heil PR30). Acoustic guitar recorded with single Heil and one electric guitar and a flute(traditional instrument from our country).Bass was recorded through guitar amp with singe Heil. And I mixed everything and just wanted to ask you what do you thing about the mixing. and what do you think does rap work with live instruments?View attachment vytka weza.mp3

ok The bass drum is weak and lacking bass end because it was recorded with singe sm 57 i guess. and That is not a sax :). and what do you mean by acoustic guitars sound thin what are they lacking? midrange compression?

ok The bass drum is weak and lacking bass end because it was recorded with singe sm 57 i guess. and That is not a sax :). and what do you mean by acoustic guitars sound thin what are they lacking? midrange compression?
You can get a good sounding kick with an SM57. It might not be a real sax but that's what its supposed to sound like (or some kind of woodwind instrument). The acoustic guitar sounds like it basically only has higher end frequency which kind of doesn't work here because the instrumental is so minimal that it'd be nice for the acoustic guitar to span over a wide range of frequency.

At least you fixed the kick. It overall sounds better. As far as rap sounding good with live instruments? It depends on what you think, it's your music don't worry about what other people think. If you like it then that's good enough.

The kick is fine in the low end now. I think it's a bit loud. I didn't care for that syncopated rhythm the drummer was using in spots. Sounded like he was having trouble with it. I'd keep the rhythm simpler. Snare sounded pretty good to me.

I'd lower the acoustic and clarinet (or whatever it was) and give the vocal more prominence. Also you might want to make a small notch cut in the clarinet around 2500hz or thereabouts.

The vocal could use a little more presence. Maybe a small EQ boost around 5K or so.

I like the idea of what you have going here, and while I like the sound of the drums myself, they just aren't tight enough, especially at the beginning, to really get a groove going.

Reading back, I guess I agree with most of what trip offers above. Tighten up the drums, bring down the guitars and the lead instrument, and raise the vocals.

Back