Rap mix

detuned6

Metal dude
I just started a rap session last week. I Have completed the vocals for one of the tracks. And have been working on the mixing (compressing, verb, expanding etc)
Can any body offer me any tips on mixing rap stuff. (I usally do metal stuff.)

From the rap sessions I've seen:

-You want to keep the recording sounding *CLEAN* and tight. Don't focus on getting 'fat' sounds as much as pristine. However, some styles will want some grit on it, but keep it pristine, focused dirt.

-Sub 80hz frequencies are very important, but keep it clean and thumping down there.

-Similarly, the high end should be crisp and full.

-Most of the midrange will be vocals. Make sure the vocals come to the front of the mix.

-Easy on the 'verb across the mix. Be sure not to allow low frequency elements like 808 kiks to get much--if any--verb.

-Use more precise tools/plugins like Focusrite D2/D3, GML EQ's, and other pristine processing. Think SSL/Avalon type sounds.

Thanks Cloneboy Studio.

I dont plan on using any verb on the actual music track, just the vocals.
I have a slight boost of +2db on 75hz on the music track.( it gives it a lil more thump)
My recording chain for vocals: At3035, trident se-20, RNC --> digi 002.
I record the vocals with a 65hz cut, but im thinking of cutting way more on the way in while recording (say around 100hz). For plugs I am using an expnader & compressor, and reverb on the main vocal tracks.
I think ill need to do some minor eq, to brighten up the vocals.(I need a better compressor plug besides the PT digirack one)

Eh guyz,Im havin the same problem..I cant make the vocals sit in the mix.
Here are my tools:

Behringer BCA 2000
Cubase SX 2.0
Compressor Bundled w/ Cubase
EQ " " "
Takstar Condenser Microphone

heres how I recorded it...MIC --> BCA 2000 ---> DAW --> Compressor --> EQ
any Idea what was missing in the processes??
I heard a good preamp and external compressor is crucial before the vocals hit the DAW...

I am a newbie I hope you could give help..(Make it simple as possible)

Back