Rap Lyrics Processing

djdarwin

I been recording some local artists for a while now and been experimenting with what plugins to use on thier voice.

I have been adding compression and some EQ

What do you hip hop heads do to process your vocals/verses?

How much compression?
What ratios?
what attack/release?

Where do you guys apply your EQ?
What do you boost?
WHat do you cut?

Delay?
On key words or the hole verse?

I know there are no rules or hardfast answers for these questions i was just wondering about the trends out there.

What do you guys like/tend to do?

That's a hard one.
I compress going in with a PRO VLA anywhere around 2:1 - 4:1, if I'm not using a HPF in my chain I roll off at 80hz. For my voice, I boost around 4khz and again around 10-12khz. I compress again with waves R-Comp from there just a little more. I then usually add delay, reverb, more EQ and dessing if needed (all whole verses, unless I want an effect then that on certain phrases).

I usually send vocals from VTB-1 to my 362 sonic maximizer, to a 4:1 compression, and EQ'd & low pass/high pass the sound before it hits my computer. Then after recording, I'll compress it even more with Timeworks & widen the vocals a little bit & tweak the sound with different things depending on whos' on the mic.

i like to NOT EQ vocals at all, unless something is harsh, i'll do a skinny cut.

compression, 2:1-3.5:1, usually stay 2.5:1...attack i change depending on the performer....release, again dependingon the performer. both are usually less than 100ms. although release i drag well past 100 on occation.

The way you process your vocals is mainly going to depend on who's on the mic, the micing technique, and what mic your using. I usually use a combination of mic technique, compression(-10/4:1), small low cut, and reverb to get what i want. I'd prefer to compress lightly on the way in so all the tracks have consistent levels that you can work with. I was dumn and sold my compressor a few months ago and i want another one so badd!! But, eventually, the ultimate way you process will all depend on what type of flavor you want to bring to the table.

Thanks fellas...

Good looks all around.

Have you guys ever used the protools compressor plugin? What do you think about it? I cant seem to get good results with it on the Vox.

Do you guys have a favorite hardware compressor for your rap vox?

One you would recomend for <$300?

I have the behringer 2600 Composer Pro XL, and it works ok I guess, I also use the Timeworks software compressor also, but I like how the dbx 166 sounds too, more then the behringer.

I like my Art PRO VLA thought most people don't reccomend it for aggressive stuff. The Composer is actually one of the few behringer products that gets pretty good reviews around here. For hip-hop I would reccomend the DBX 160 if you can find one, but unless your using it for an effect just track clean and use a software comp.

Back