Rane PEQ 15 upgrade MOD

Tonio

Rane PE 15 upgrade MOD

I have a PEQ 15, is this thing worth MOd'ing, or should I get a Speck ASC?
No wait , A Designs gotta a PEQ coming out no?
I think I'll wait for that?

:cool:

T

Last edited:
I dunno. I'd think either one would be pretty damn good.

Especially if you have the Rane modified by Jim Williams. I'd bet it would sound pretty stellar after that guy got his hands on it. The spec, obviously, would sound great right out of the box.

Do you mean the Rane PEQ 55? I've never heard of the 15, nor can I find anything on Google.

I have used a lot of EQ's. My favorite will probably always be Klark Teknik stuff.
The DN-410 is superb! But will set you back a little bit. Though, I think Klark Teknik is more known and praised for the graphic Equalizers like the DN-300.
I have yet to use a Speck ASC though.

Yup was thinking of Jim over @ Audio Upgrades. I guess it would be about the same overall financially vs the ASC. It would be worth the MOD, its rather wooly now.
Just that open space in mt API lunchbox is haunting me
;)

tarnationsauce, sorry its a PE 15. The Klark Teknik look scool.

T

Last edited:
Jim will say something like

"itll sound like after your ears pop on a plane"

or "i use so and so film caps for air and details"

that is his description of every mod he does, no matter what gear it is. :)

I was going to send something to him until an EE friend pointed out how expensive his rates are compared to the amount of time involved. (one thing I was going to have done would have taken 20 minutes and costed 200 bucks.) no thanks.

I dont doubt that his work is phenomenal, but I cant justify the cost.

BigRay said:
I was going to send something to him until an EE friend pointed out how expensive his rates are compared to the amount of time involved. (one thing I was going to have done would have taken 20 minutes and costed 200 bucks.) no thanks.

What mod were you going to have done?

BigRay said:

That's pretty short-sighted thinking, BR.

I don't think you're factoring in the amount of time it might take a guy to handle and ship ... and to keep track of all of the packages he's receiving and sending back out on a weekly basis. Then there's all of the parts I'm sure he has to order; not to mention the testing / QC of the various componenets . I'm sure he's not just yanking various parts and then just replacing them with other random parts; I would be surprized if he didn't spend some Quality time listening to the results, testing for oscillation, etc.

Not to mention all of the time I'm sure he's initially put in to dreaming up some of these mods, which would be sort of like an R&D expense. It's a business, Big Ray. And there are going to be costs other than the time spent tinkering with things.

Back