Random popping when recording with DI?

Disasster

Im wondering if you guys can help me, im recording a Acoustic guitar (Takamine G series eg360sc) through a ART MPA Gold DI and for some reason i get these random popping sounds, but i dont know why this is happening. I recorded a electric guitar through the DI 3 weeks ago and it was fine. I attached a audio file to show you what it sounds like.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/53049487c0ac4f19/

Thanks
-Joel

I don't hear any popping...

There was some string noise that could maybe resemble popping, but as far as I could tell nothing that would resemble an issue with any of your equipment.

Try different speakers?

What your hearing is string noise.

Try a different mic placement or get your talent (if it's not you) to try and play a little cleaner. Sometimes just being made aware of those noises can fix them.

What your hearing is string noise.

Try a different mic placement or get your talent (if it's not you) to try and play a little cleaner. Sometimes just being made aware of those noises can fix them.

Hey, Thanks for the reply.

The thing is, there is no mic, its going through a DI, and i just noticed that Phantom Power was on, would this effect the sound at all when going through a DI. I told her what i was hearing but i dont know if she could hear it...maybe it is the way shes playing the guitar, cause the E. Guitar never had this problem.

Phantom power should have nothing to do with it.

The fact that the E-guitar did not pose this problem further supports the fact that it is string noise. Your talent is simply plucking a note that is not fretted or doing something else that is usually not noticeable. If there was no popping with with another instrument that automatically eliminates any problems with your equipment (good news?:p)

I had to listen to the track at least 5 or 6 times before even noticing what you were talking about. If it is really bothering you a lot mic it up and see if it gets any better.

Good luck!

I did hear two after several run throughs. They might be some kind of artifact from the AD/DA converters of your system.

Here's something to try. Record a short run on an analog system of some sort (like a cassette) - then use that to go to the digital system... several times. If it happens at the same time each time - it's something that's really happening. If it happens randomly on the digital tracks, then it's the AD converters.

BTW - Those are extremely subtle pops. I hear those in even commercial things, so they seem to be just a fact of life these days.

Thanks for the help, from now on im going to try and use a mic, the only reason i used the DI was because i was recording vocals aswell. Whats the best way to record vocals and Acoustic guitar at the same time with 2 LCDs(Its all i have for now) with the least phase problems? And what kind of SCD would you suggest getting?

-Joel

Back