Random error in Cubase SX

moelar2

I recently upgraded my computer to the following:

Gigabyte K8 Triton motherboard
AMD 64 Processor
1 gig of RAM

Prior to upgrading, cubase would "lock" up during a session. I have to Echo Laylas synchronized via word clock. The song would be playing and all of sudden I'd get a loud oscillator-sounding noise. All I had to do to get rid of it was minimize cubase then bring it back up.

Now, after the upgrade, I get 'glitches', mostly in the beginning of songs (it'll sound gittery). I've made sure that I have the Echo layla selected as my card; everything else is the same.

Here's what I think:

- It's possible that some of my RAM may have gone bad?
- Something may be going on with synching the two laylas...but I've had these laylas synched for a couple of years without problems, so I don't really think its this
- Or maybe I just need more RAM. The only problem with this is that I've been using the "performance monitor" (f12) and it doesn't spike. It's usually under 30.
- Lastly, is it a problem that windows sees Layla 1 as the main card, but Cubase sees Layla 2 as the main card?

The only other variable is that I am now using Waves platinum edition plugins. I imagine those take a lot of processing power.

Help please. Thanks.

if your ram was bad your computer would freeze.

1gig of ram is plenty. There are diagnoistic progs out there if your convinced your ram is bad, or any other component for that matter. Bad HDD's cause system freezes, i just had a brand new one die on me today.

you say you got a 64bit processor? if your running cubase on a 64bit OS there might be problems.

Try different benchmarking applications to test system stability, or make your own by running every scanner you have simulatnously for CPU, and running videos and games together for RAM. The best thing you can do is find if its just cubase thats causing problems. It could always be heat too.

My gut was not totally convinced with RAM being the problem because I use to only run 512 without any problem.

I'm running a raid 0 configuration, and other songs seem to work. It's mainly two songs that don't work, and they are the songs with the most amount of tracks and processing. song 1 has 52 tracks + 7 groups with 13 utilizing Eqs and 12 utilizing effects processing. Song 2 has 54 tracks + 9 groups.

The systems is:

AMD Athlon 64 Processor
3500+
2.21 Ghz, 1.00 GB RAM
CUBASE SX 1

The songs in question have been recorded at 24 bit 48khz

The settings in the device manager are as follows:

No. disk buffers = 5
disk buffer size: 64k

GSIF (layla setting): 1024 samples.

There's so many variables that I'm not sure what it could be. Hopefully someone can provide guidance.

I'm running an L3 on the main mix; a couple of Rverbs on the the groups, and EQs here and there. Nothing too excessive though.

Back