Ran my mix through the LA-610 to master.

PaddyGordon

Set the T4 Compressor to limit the signal.

My Digital converters did slightly clip on one side if I remember right, but I'm sure it was a snare hit so becomes inaudible.

But yeah, here's the difference.

My original Mastering Attempt (CLA-2A Plug in, Kramer Tape Simulator and Adaptive Limiter on Logic)
View attachment Borders Final Mix.mp3

The LA-610 with limiter and some EQ-ing to give it back some of its high-end with the Kramer Tape Simulator
View attachment Borders LA610.mp3

Obviously the EQing was done different, but I felt that after running the mix through the 610, boosting the high mids and high frequencies didn't add harshness (although I'm now getting more sibilance from the vocals) whereas before it sounded overly bright and unclear when they frequencies were boosted. It sounds like a blanket has been lifted, and I was expecting the opposite with the LA610 to be honest!

I did try and set the limiter so it would never limit more than 3dB at a time, I can imagine the slow T4 pumping a lot if driven any more. It does sound radio-esque but I don't think it's fatiguing.

I am listening on headphones as it's 4:30am here but yeah, Only problem I can see happening is the compressor compressing each side of the mix different (as I have to do it dual mono as it's a mono channel strip).

So yeah, let me know what you guys think! (I know my mastering skills aren't the greatest, but this seems to be moving in the right direction)

P.S. Considering the Drums were tracked in a rehearsal studio, the guitars in a pub's lounge and the vocals in my bedroom, I think it sounds not half bad! Although the remaster may or may not be too bassy now.

Wow ... that's good. Considering the different venues of recording ... Drums tracked in a rehearsal studio, guitars in a pub and the vocals in your bedroom. Not bad.

im just on laptop speakers at the moment but its sounding good, all the parts are clear and better yet a good song. vocals arent fighting with the guitars..."moving in the right direction" I like that perspective.

Back