Ramones meet New Order

Oh, and there seems to be a problem with the RealAudio versions of the songs, so you'll have to DL the mp3's. But I don't suppose anyone here would settle for RealAudio anyway?:p

The songs are about 4 mb each.

/Henrik

Nice, energetic song.

Good balance in the mix. I think the mix needs to be a bit bigger though and maybe more in-your-face.

Good singer.

THanks for your input, Cyan!

I'm not really pleased with the sound of the distorted rythm guitars. I'd like them to have more growl, in lack of a better word. Also the drum overheads are done with an x/y placement, and I should have angled them out a bit more to get a wider image.

So if it's things like that you mean with a "bigger" mix that is more in your face - then I agree.

Glad you liked the song and the singer (me).

/Henrik

Only got to listen on Some small PC speakers but it sounds great there. Guitars sound fantastic.

Hey Track Rat,
sorry about the late reply - and thanks for taking the time to DL and listen. Glad you liked it!

Cheers
/Henrik

I like those synthesized sounds going on in the background. Vocals fit the song well too. I can hear a little Weezer in there too. Ending was cool. Good job overall.

i listened to Spin....

very good song.....i cant find anything id change...good job......

I don't really hear the Ramones meet New Order conection but sounds good to me. Everything sound pretty good except the heavier guitar sounds a bit garage band. Ah hang on, just hearing it again, think I dont mind it now. Just what I thought at the time though. I could write a diferent reply each time i listen to these songs again?

Scott,
that's the greatest compliment so far - that you find yourself wanting to write something else each time you hear it. Thanks!

I'm sure you'll know what I mean by dropping New Order if you listen to the keyboards of Spin.

If you like, follow the link to the older songs. I'm still really proud of them, at least the three first ones.

Cheers all you guys, and thanks for taking your time to listen and comment!

/Henrik

Hi, I finally got to sit down and listen to your stuff, I just picked a song by chance: 'dog outside a supermarket'.

First, it sounds very good, very well balanced frequencywise. Would you mind sharing what you used to record? Or just point me to the thread were you have already...

Songwise, it really has a cool weezer vibe in the chorus and the melodic guitar starting at 1:37. Very good singing too, I can't come up someone you sound like and that's always a good thing, having a personal sound. I personally would like the distorted guitars to be clearer, but I think there might a problem trying to marry the syntheziser with more high frequency content in the guitars?

Great job, I'll have a listen to the rest of the tracks to get the big picture.

Regards,
/Henrik, Luleå

Hey Valdemar,
thanks for your kind words! It's funny, I haven't listened to Weezer a whole lot. Maybe I should start doing that.

Gear used:
Everything recorded through a M-Audio Delta 1010 into a Mac with Cubase VST 4 (yes, it's 16 bit. I'll upgrade in a week or so).

Vocals - Rode NTK into a Joemeek VC6Q.

Bass - a Fender P-bass '76 split with a DI box (from that Canadian brand that makes those coveted mics and preamps for acoustic guitars. Can't remember their name). One input went into the VC6Q (lots of compression, lots of low end EQ) and one input into a Vox AC50 amp (bass frequencies turned down), miced with an SM57, through a TL Audio 5001 tube pre, compressed with a Drawmer DL241.

Left guitar - '80s Squire strat into a Marlboro amp, miced with an SM57 through the 5001.

Right guitar - another Squire strat into a Marshall Valvestate 80. Miced with a - you guess! - SM57 through the 5001.

Drums - x/y overhead with AKG C-1000 (I hate them). Snare top with an SM57, snare bottom with some cheapo Behringer SM58 clone. These four went into the 5001 running very hot. Kick miced with an AKG D112, into the VC6Q. I think I patched in the DL241 to use the limiter on snare top and kick.

All mixed in Cubase using TC's EQ, compressor and reverb, plus Waves L1 for the final limiting.

Cheers
/Henrik

I Like it, very good! I do however, also see the Weezer thing. But ya know I think it is the Synthesizer (which sounds cool) more than anything else, That synth sounds similar to the synth sounds in the weezer tune Buddy Holly. If it wasn't there i still might have thought weezer but it would be much less likely.

Anyway, I'm going to shut up now because I hate when people compare my music to other people's music. I think that's a typical musician thing to do though :) We all seem to hate our music being compared but love to compare other peoples music to other peoples music. OH yah, Im supposed to be shutting up right now

Later sounds great I wouldn't change a thing,

-Evan Keogh

BTW,, "The sweater song rules"

Thanks also to you Evan for taking your time to listen and comment on our stuff! It sure sounds as if I should check out Weezer a lot more than I have to date. I've just seen them live once, at a rock festival in Denmark.

Er...which one is the Sweater song?

Cheers
/Henrik

Back