Ramones 1st album getting remastered

I have the original pressing on vinyl, so no, this doesn't excite me very much. For some people, attaching the name "Abbey Road" to anything carries some sort of magic with it, but for me, I'm woopdy fucking doo.

I am interested in the demos and outtakes though. A mono mix would be awesome. But as far as the actual album goes, it's not like anything is being retracked, for obvious reasons, so it will never be as good as it's original form.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but what you're saying is they already achieved perfection, right?

Not a huge Ramones fan though I do like some of their stuff and their bare bones approach to music..

The mastered at Abbey Roads thing in todays world is pretty gimmicky..

I have to admit...I did halfheartedly consider having one of my tunes mastered there after reading one of their.."you too can have your songs mastered at Abbey Roads" ads but set down the kool aid and decided not to..

It will be interesting to do a side by side comparison and see if there is any significant improvement...That said...judging something like that is subjective to the critic critiquing it.

I have listened to audio comparisons in the past and then listen to audiophile purist talking their talk and whatever they're hearing..I sure can't hear..

It will be interesting to do a side by side comparison and see if there is any significant improvement...That said...judging something like that is subjective to the critic critiquing it.

If it's an improvement. We'll see. I'll be interested to hear it.

it's bass, guitar, drums, and vocals. It already sounds good so, I don't know what they want to do.
Maybe try to get a wider stereo image ....I dunno.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but what you're saying is they already achieved perfection, right?
As far as that first album goes, I'd say yes.

I meant the article....not specifically the remastered version. :)
I mean, what could they possibly do to it besides make it louder? It was already loud as hell for it's time. It's mixed the way it is because if they did a "standard" centered bass mix the needle would fly out of the groove. If they change the sonics of it, it just screws it up. Now if there are some unused tracks they dig up and add into it just so we can hear it, then cool. That'll be interesting.

it's bass, guitar, drums, and vocals. It already sounds good so, I don't know what they want to do.
Maybe try to get a wider stereo image ....I dunno.

You can't! That album is mixed as drums and vocals in the middle. Guitar hard right, bass hard left. That's it. It's as wide as it can go.

Since the consensus seems to be that the album is great as it is, the question remains.......... What could be better??

The answer is simple. More Money.
That's what will be better.

Remastered at the Legendary Abby Road studios translates into......
A whole new release of an album that all the fans had bought years ago.
Its always easier to sell an old product that had run it's course by offering it as 'new and improved'

It will also attract a new set of potential Ramones fans. So in that aspect, it could be kind of cool.

Since the consensus seems to be that the album is great as it is, the question remains.......... What could be better??

The answer is simple. More Money.
That's what will be better.

Remastered at the Legendary Abby Road studios translates into......
A whole new release of an album that all the fans had bought years ago. It will also attract a new set of potential Ramones fans. So in that aspect, it could be kind of cool.

By today's standards, the Ramones debut is an oddball. They did it in a matter of days for $6400. It's pretty much as raw and bare bones as it gets for a major release. An album like that would never get released these days. Not from a mainstream label like Sire anyway. It's mixed weird, it sounds stripped down but huge at the same time, it's just amazing. And in the context of it's era, it's a total freak of an album. It's easy to realize it's impact 40 years later, but the beauty of that album is even at it's time it made an everlasting impact in a major way. That album immediately made bloated arena rock and prog lame and passe to a very large number of people. Thank God for that Ramones album. It saved rock and roll.

I wouldn't know. I was never a fan. I had Rocket to Russia, listened to it once, and turned it into a Frisbee.
I did cut out the album art work and used it for decoration in my shop.

Never had a fondness for punk, mainly cause I had no love for punk artists as people.
Bunch of broke MFers who wanted work but had no money to pay for it.

I gotta say the guitar player for the Circle Jerks, he was ok. Don't remember his name though.
Did some shit for Black Flag, they were all jerks.
:D

I had Rocket to Russia, listened to it once, and turned it into a Frisbee.

I've killed people for less than that.

That's generally regarded as their best album. You need to try it again. You still may not like it, but there's no punk rock cliches like bad playing and noisy crap on that album. I like the Circle Jerks and Black Flag but if that's your idea of all "punk" you will be surprised if you revisit the Ramones again.

Remastered tags are just ways of milking the cash cow. I'll skip it and stick to my original vinyl. It sounds great as is so I need no upgrade. I may buy any unheard bonus tracks or extras but that's about it.

From the article, the plan/intention was....

"According to Leon, the initial “wild idea” for the recording plan of the first album was to record it at Abbey Road. They had also hoped to make a dedicated monaural mix for their debut, but their record company’s distributor would not sanction it. Some mono mixes were made for single A- and B-sides during the sessions at Plaza Sound in Manhattan, but the album was commercially issued in stereo.

The 40th anniversary release goes some way towards fulfilling the band’s original intentions."

I guess time will tell if they fulfilled the band's original intentions. :D

Could be worse...they could have waited another 10 years and done it as a 50th anniversary remaster. :p

Back