Rammstein sound

You could become a german or you could go find some Rammstein sites somewhere out on the net that tells something about their equipment, there has to be something, its the Internet!

rectifier with ibanez custom model or marshall with that van halen guitar... and yes they're killer! btw live sounds exact the same as recorded, how this is done is my question!

guhlenn

Metallica has an enclosed cabinet and microphone assembly behind the stage that goes to the PA when they do shows, they don't actually mic the stage cabs. That is how they get a real nice live sound.... of course, I don't know how plausible this is for anyone else.

pretty cool but i guess only affordable for the stinkin' rich... although i don't quit catch the thought of that. what's so different?

guhlenn

I think it gives them way more control with what is picked up by the microphone, no interference or anything like that. It would also probably give better bass since its in an elcosed cab. I could be wrong, maybe ill try and find that article.

What do guys across the big water like about Rammstein? That they're so german?
Do you understand what they're singing about? They got a new single out here in Germany and I think it's really, really weak.
The sound is the same, surely, but these lyrics...

i live 5 meters away from the german border... so water has nothing to do with it. do you like metal? and what other bands do you like? no use discussing whether rammstein is cool or not with a blueslover...

guhlenn

ps yes i understand the lyrics...

guhlenn:

I thought that you would understand them, but all these other guys? I was always wondering, why americans find them so cool. I once talked about that to two guys from California that were on vacation here in Germany. They simply said: they sound so fucking german!
But is that it? That was my question.

And yes, I like metal. Well, I used to like it, to be honest. But the 'Amok' and the 'Down'-album from Sentenced are still one of my favourites.

David

it's very powerfull. that's it. it's like this wall of sound that really hits you. plus it really is tanz metal as it has this groove. anyway about the lyrics no they are not deep (although;) buck dich...) but most metal lyrics suck ass. i think keeping the lyrics airy prevents them from being whiny posers... and some lyrics just kick ass.

jetzt stees du da mit der laterne... has tranen ins gesicht... fucking beautiful (sorry bout the spelling...hehe)

guhlenn

Actually, I was just curious about the guitar sound. When I do recording for others, sometimes I might have someone with a Les Paul & a Marshall stack wanting to sound like Stevie Ray, or someone else with an SRV Strat and a blackface Twin wanting to sound like Metallica. Well the sound de jouis that I'm being asked to replicate is an industrial metal similar to Rammstein.

I beleive that the guitar player has to simulate having anal sex with the keyboard player, and then pull out a fake penis and spray the first three rows with fake semen.

This is of course done in a highly musical way!

foo

DU!

DU HAST!

DU HAST MISCH!

Honestly, I thought Rammmstein and KMFDM used some sort of synth or computer to get that guitar sound. It is almost too good, too pristine while being that hard driven. I am probably wrong. I am wrong most of the time.

P.S. I don't speak german, but the stuff I have heard makes me want to break shit, therefore I like it.

Teuffelhunden

THAT'S what i mean... i do understand the lyrics and well they're like old metal lyrics upgraded to 2001; some are cool but most just are funny and ment to shock...

and german is the ideal language for that. but the guiatr sound isn't *that* strange ... just a well tweeked marshall. and i guess a very expensive compressor and noise gate cuz that is , live too, an immense tight sound... and the semen and stuff is only a small part of their show ... it feels like war is coming when they play.

guhlenn

I can't remember where I read it, I think it may have been a guitar world interview, but I heard when they play live they run straight from line outs on marshall heads into the mixing board. I remember recalling that it seemed weird that they didnt mic anything, but when you listen to it, they do have some trebley ass thin guitar tone, so it makes sense to me. As for what they do in the studio I have no idea. It may just be my opinion, but I think their live tone is simply horrid, although I do like the band.

you heard a bad sounding concert. saw them live couple of times and they kick ass live and on the cd in fact the sound is the same. and the trebly thin guitar ... you mean the concert right?

guhlenn

I suppose my opinion may not be as credible as yours because I have not witnessed rammstein live (yet). But on all of the live recordings i've heard, the guitar tone seems to lack alot of fullness and low end. Im not putting it down, I think it sounds great. But compared with alot of other bands it seems a little thin. But thats seems to be the ideal sound for industrial music (see KMFDM or Skrew) It fits the music really well, but try it with alot of other genres and I don't think it would work out too well. Just one guys opinion.

Back