RAMI: Questions about the 2488 MKII Neo

M1Fanatic

Digital whaaa?
I'm considering the purchase of this unit but I have questions that remain unanswered in the many forums and (generally derogatory) reviews of this unit.

1. Can this be used as a monitor mixer for rehearsal purposes such as my analog TASCAM desk can be used?

2. Are there any known mods for this unit for the addition of an external VGA or digital monitor output?

3. Have you had any problems with freezing, lockups, strange error messages that contradict the state of the machine at the time?

4. Is it true that the more recording, overdubbing, erasing, re-recording, etc. during a session may lead to a lockup or freeze?

5. Will this unit play pre-recorded commercial CD's through the monitor mix?

Some of these are questions no one seems to know the answers to either because I haven't found them or no one has tried them.

i'm considering the purchase of this unit but i have questions that remain unanswered in the many forums and (generally derogatory) reviews of this unit.

1. Can this be used as a monitor mixer for rehearsal purposes such as my analog tascam desk can be used? yes but there are only 9 inputs available 8 + aux

2. Are there any known mods for this unit for the addition of an external vga or digital monitor output?there is one in development but installing it would void any warranty

3. Have you had any problems with freezing, lockups, strange error messages that contradict the state of the machine at the time?i have not had any issues in over 2 years of heavy use

4. Is it true that the more recording, overdubbing, erasing, re-recording, etc. During a session may lead to a lockup or freeze?again this is not something that i have encountered, imo from what i have seen it is usually a fault of human error

5. Will this unit play pre-recorded commercial cd's through the monitor mix?yes it can perform as a cd player but it will not be a simul thing like playing along

some of these are questions no one seems to know the answers to either because i haven't found them or no one has tried them.

Hey M1...I'm really sorry I missed this. Just saw it now.

Well, I didn't know the answer to #2, but I've had the same experience as bassbrad with my unit. No problems with freeze ups, etc....

The only problem I do have (this is after about 6 years of HEAVY use) is that a lot of my buttons are starting to go. The JOG wheel is also screwed up.

I have similar results as RAMI... my stop button, jog wheel, and left/right selector buttons are on the fritz alot of the time.... I sometimes have to hit them at just the right place and harder than normal to make them do anything... I have had a few minor problems with my unit freezing up in some ways... I'm not doing anything wrong either... I'v used this unit for years without problems. What has happened probably 4 or 5 times is that I will press play, and the music plays back, but the screen doesn't update the time like it should it just stays at the beginning... Also, I've had a few times when I try to press play and nothing happens at all, and the entire system just freezes. Out of frustration, I'll hit play like 50 more times repeatedly and it will eventually work (No this is probably not the right thing to do. Note that these problems did not happen until the main partition I was using was around 500mb from being full. I have since cleared out a bunch of stuff and haven't had those problems since.

Back