RAM DEAL 256 Megs of PC133 for 43.00

thanks nashstudio.

At this price, I wish everybody would jump on the deal. For me ram was the most influential addition to my pc.

I just wish my system would take more than 256. If it would, I would upgrade to like 738 or something.

With the prices of stuff coming down right now its easy to build a super computer for like nothing. There are MB out for under 200 bucks that work great with audio and can hold like 2 gigs of RAM and at these prices it wouldnt take much to get the mother of machines..

If your gonna buy cheap RAM -like that -dont plan on your computer running very stable. Invest in good RAM like Crucial - expecially if your computer is running close or over the Ghz. range.. cheap/garbage components are usually the cause of screen freezes and the infamous blue screen of death. Esp. if your recording music. Also cheap power supplies under 300 watts cause some serious" hard to trace" problems when running apps. The most expensive isnt always the best, but the best is sometimes the most expensive.

JMarcomb said:
If your gonna buy cheap RAM -like that -dont plan on your computer running very stable.

I agree
At minimum you should hop to page 3 or 4 in pricewatches list till you find the first pc 133, cas 3, unbuffered Micron brand memory, or keep going till you find cas 2 buffered. cheap memory will cause more trouble than it's worth regardless of the amount you install.

TX

If you look at the actual manufacturer on the RAM itself, most are the same two or three makers. For example, memory made by Hyundai is used in most new Compaq and IBM PC's that we are getting in right now. The same memory is sold at Circuit City, Micro Center, and CompUSA for low prices. I have also found that many of the labels on the packaging have this same actual brand of memory.

More importantly, match up the RAM types. If it is ECC you have, then buy only ECC. If you have a P3 with an 815 chipset, use only non-ECC RAM. And match up the speed and voltage for best performance.

H2H

Crucial, Viking, PNY, Simple ... CAS (CL) 2 ... might as well get the good stuff while it's cheap. If you're going over 256MB then you need to run buffered (registered) memory if your motherboard will support it (this will typically also be ECC). You can't mix and match ECC and non-ECC reliably.

If I were buying 256MB now with plans to upgrade I would buy this:

http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.asp?imodule=CT32M72S4R7E

If I wanted to buy 256 without plans for adding more I would buy:

http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.asp?imodule=CT32M64S4D7E

Of course the price difference is so small that I'd probably purchase the buffered ECC stuff if my motherboard supported it. If you don't want to buy from crucial (free 2nd day shipping!) then look for similar specs, or look for memory that is "recommended for Windows NT and Windows 2000."

Memory is one of those components that causes the "weird" problems. The unpredictable problems you'll typically assume are software-related. Why does the person with almost the exact same machine have no problems, while you have many? Often times it will be memory, power supply, temperature, etc.

As Ed would say about audio gear, I'll say about computer gear. Buy cheap, buy twice.

Slackmaster 2000

Well most of the generic RAM is the same as the name brand if you look at the specs and right now its all cheap even the name brand stuff. Most of the above problems are caused by people buying the wrong kind of RAM that is not supported by their motherboard... If you get the right kind of RAM for your board there is not a damn thing wrong with generic RAM...

If you get the right kind of RAM for your board there is not a damn thing wrong with generic RAM... -- hmmm maybe if your planning on using the computer to run spreadsheets.

Well considering that most new RAM is backward compatiable such as CAS 2 / 3 or non ecc /ecc-- who cares what kind it is unless your still running IDO and you want to upgrade. If your running a server and need error checking for critical applications go with ecc. if you want more throughput on the chip go CAS 2.The key is the quality of the chips and the circuit board that they are electrically seated to.
If you wanna run generic memory thats fine-- but if I put generic memory with my Athalon 1.2 Ghz -- she will barely make it past bootstrap and then lockup.

Back