raising monitor speakers? (advise needed)

hiphopsupamix

hey guys,

how would you recommend I raise my monitors? should I use special material or it doesn't really matter?

thanks

musicpc.jpg

Put them on stands, either store bought or homemade.

Just lay a piece of rubber, or neoprene between the monitor bottoms and the top of the stand to avoid vibrations.

I'm gonna get some stands build to actually go on the desk but to put the speakers a bit higher...

a couple of questions;

1) how high should I raise the speakers? To ear level when I'm sitting down?

2) any particular wood I should get the person who is making it to use or not really?

3) anything else I should know?

thanks!

I actually used small concrete blocks to make my stands. They are heavy so the strength of your desk is an important consideration. I glued carpet to the bottom, used some leftover floor tile from reflooring the kitchen and even got fancy and put some moulding around the edges. They do a great job of decoupling.

I have my monitors where the LF driver cone centers are about ear level. They are a little hard to see in this pic, but this is what they look like.

Attachments

• workstation_1.jpg
    workstation_1.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 177
^^^

looks good!

I don't think I'll go with the concrete option though

anyone else able to offer any advice regarding my questions?

thanks

Just try to work the hiegth and the distance apart to wear they are are even with your head and also an equal distance triangle from the speakers and your noggin itself.

As for neoprene rubber....you can shoot down to the 99 cent store and usually find cheap mouse pads that will make a great barrier to keep vibrations from your monitors from rattling anything it touches....ie stands.

Even though I am new to this recording thing about the gear and all. My dad is like an amazing carpenter and well he easily made stands that simple had a base then a piece of angled 2 by 4 will a stand for the moniter on top. The moniter would be locked in place with a little trim around where it sits and he covered it in rubber that we bought for like 5 bucks.

HogansHiro said:
Just try to work the hiegth and the distance apart to wear they are are even with your head and also an equal distance triangle from the speakers and your noggin itself.

As for neoprene rubber....you can shoot down to the 99 cent store and usually find cheap mouse pads that will make a great barrier to keep vibrations from your monitors from rattling anything it touches....ie stands.

wow, that's a good idea about the mouse pads!

thanks for the info guys!

hiphopsupamix said:
^^^

looks good!

I don't think I'll go with the concrete option though

anyone else able to offer any advice regarding my questions?

thanks

Hey, don't knock the cement!!! I use cinder blocks as monitor stands too.

Ideally, you want your ears level with the tweeters. In the horizontal plane, the tweeters and the back of your head should form an equilateral triangle. I built some stands from PVC pipe, PVC flanges, and MDF board. Auralex sells the MoPads that'll get your monitors up a few inches off the desk and isolate them as well. They're a little pricey though.

Back