Radioshack Mixer question

That mixer doesn't have any phantom power. The mic you're using is a dynamic mic. Dynamic mics don't require phantom power--condenser mics do.

Thanks for replyting white, but the point is when i tried to plug my mic directly into the mic in of the sound card of the pc, it never worked. So that mixer must be supplying some kind of power to the mic to make it work, right?

The mixer has what's called a "preamp" in it. All mixers do. Mics by themselves need to be amplified before they're loud enough to record, so besides EQ, and panning and whatever else a mixer might have, it first has to have a preamp to amplify the mic. So yes, the mixer requires power for that.

But that's not the same thing as phantom power. Phantom power is power that the mixer sends to the mic to make it work. Dynamic mics don't need phantom power; they just need a preamp. Condenser mics need phantom power and a preamp.

So to clarify/summarize: your mixer isn't sending any power to the mic, it's just amplifying it. Your sound card obviously doesn't have a preamp, so it couldn't amplify the mic.

Thanks for the info

Thanks a lot white, now i do understand the difference. And also i do know that my mixer may not have any phantom power at all. Thanks for the info, i really appreciate it.

Good on you, Whitestrat, for answering his questions and not calling him an idiot or worse. We all started not knowing anything...

Back