Radio opportunity

DaveX

I have a radio show at my University. I play experimental, improvisation, and difficult music. I use a lot of material from the Internet, because many of the bands, artists, and labels that I want to play are often not large enough to send promotional material to our radio station (which currently broadcasts solely online).

I need a constant influx of good material for the show. I don't play commercials, and I only play things that I personally enjoy. Nevertheless, this is a relatively easy way to get airplay, and I DO have a good amount of listeners. If you send me a URL to visit (with some MP3 files at the end, hopefully) I will take the time to download your music on my slow as hell 56K dialup and see if it will work out.

Please don't send me links for IDM, boring ambient stuff (you decide), or songs over 10 minutes long. I also don't want anything gothic, and nothing that could be described as "hip-hop meets country." AND NO TERRY RILEY.

Eleigible links and downloads are anything you personally have created, or any really interesting bands, artists, etc that you think merit my attention.

Thank you (in advance) for your help.

DaveX

davex@siu.edu
or send promo material to:
WIDB Experimental Music Director
SIUC Student Center 4th Floor
Carbondale IL 62901

Hello Dave...

Let me be the first to take you up on your offer! ;)

Click on that little "website" button on the bottom of my post to get to our MP3-dotcom website.

I'd be interested to hear your opinions on these 4 songs, and if they would be considered for airplay on your station.

Doin' Nothin' is a fun, funky blues tune that's practically the anthem for those who hate to get up for work each day.

Angel Child is a heavy Alternative tune about the recent school shootings and the mindset of the shooter.
Deep stuff!

Still I'm Amazed is an Alterna-pop song about the differences between men and women and how the gals drive us crazy! (But we still love 'em, right?) ;)

The Guitar Song is just a sweet, melodic tribute to our favorite instrument. Nice harmonies and guitarwork on this one.

We're just a bit upstate from you... in Chicago.
Practically neighbors, huh? :D

Let me know what you think, and thanx for the airplay offer to all of us here @ HR dotcom.

Buck

Hi Dave, you don't need to download, just let me know if you like the sound and I'll send you our promo CD, that will be much faster than getting it by your 56k :)

Anyway, check our songs at Besonic. Featured tracks on the promo CD are "Dreamtime", "True love" and "Another true story", but there will be a new radio single out soon containing an unreleased track and "Reefer slackness".

Hope you like it!
- Ulli -

Do you actually READ these posts?

C'mon people... I know experimental music isn't everyone piece of the pie, but don't bother sending me off to go see your blues songs, tributes to Bob Seger, or techno music...

Here are some of the things people have sent me to, in their own words:

"My music is a blend of 60's British Mod Beat and post modern Indie-Pop."

"an Alterna-pop song about the differences between men and women and how the gals drive us crazy!"

"A Drum'n'Bass track with a smooth jazz feeling..."

Here is what I asked for: "I play experimental, improvisation, and difficult music." I also tempered that by adding that I prefer things you personally have created, and anything you think "merits my attention."

How would pop songs merit the attention of an experimental DJ? Just curious. If you have actual things you want to send me to, please send them. I actually listen to the stuff I get sent to, regardless of what the description says, mostly on the off chance that it might be decent for the show anyway. But wasting my time on purpose and asking me to listen to your stuff is not going to make me say "hey, maybe this is actually really good. Gee, I guess I'll do an ALTERNATIVE POP show, and feature this person's stuff." Frankly, it isn't happening.

On the up side, at least for Ulli, I am curious about the song "Northern Lights"... unfortunately this song does not want to stream, the website claims the link is dead or the material is not present on their server. Something like this might actually work on the show, whereas I can' say the other stuff would at all.

As for Buck62, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful life in the normal music biz.

DaveX

Hey Davex,
Howsabout you posting a link to your station, so we can get a better idea of what you mean by "experimental"?

Queue

Radio Show Info

First, let me say that my whole station does not focus on experimental music, nor do they generally deal with music from the Internet. I play experimental music, because I have been fighting a losing battle to expand the range of interesting things that our station plays. Mostly, WIDB specializes in "alternative" music, and keeps a standard corporate format. Because we only broadcast online, however, WIDB has not been perceived by labels as a great place to send promotional material to. Therefore, it has been hard to break out of the mainstream, if we were relying on promotional materials sent to us.

Knowing this, and still intending to focus on experimental music, I decided to contact artists, labels, and bands directly; download their music, and help worthy material gain airplay. I also hope to show people that other music exists outside of the mainstream.

I can't personally recommend any shows on WIDB except my own, because for the most part, the station is poorly run, and has a lot of work to do to get back to being the solid station it can be.

For a good idea of what I am playing, tune in Wednesdays, from 7-8pm CST at http://www.widb/net

Here is also my most recent three playlists:

John Corbett - Speed Hump
Bulent Arel and Daria Semegen - Out of Into
Lesser Birds of Paradise - Untitled Track #11 (hidden track)
Kalma - Glamourouss Sundressesss
Paul Schutze - Song Six
Unsound/Implosion Project - Laying Wire/Quiet Sidewalk
Einsturzende Neubauten - Abfackeln!
Band of Gypsys - Machine Gun
Legendary Pink Dots - Dissonance

Jean Smith - Untitled
Eucci - Industrie Toulouse
Yoko Ono - Mind Train
The Beige Channel - Cling
Marc McNulty - 100mg
Candiria - Signs of Discontent
Celluloid Mata - Hanging Oscillations
Celluloid Mata - Shell
Harry Partch - Cloud Chamber Music
Jimi Tenor - Out of Nowhere
OOIOO - Righthand
OOIOO - Speaker
Oval - Ovalprocess
The Microphones - I'll Be In The Air
William Hooker - The TV Wall

Luther Thomas and Arts Ensemble of Chicago -- Una New York
Aleksi Nuuja -- Arriving at Helsinki
XAF Lab -- Piece for Pluk, Piano, and Old Shoe
Broken Guitar Project -- Nocturned
Christian Marclay -- One Thousand Cycles
Bride of No No -- Pools of Mercury
Electric Kitten Vomit -- Very Scrub!
Lee Ranaldo -- Time Stands Still
Lee Ranaldo -- The End of Life in America Angels
Diego Cortez -- Scamander
Kim Gordon / DJ Olive / Ikue Mori -- We Are the Princesses
Brainiac -- Kiss Me You Jacked Up Jerk

I hope this helps.

DaveX

ps-- all of these are amazing artists and bands. I heartily suggest you check EACH of them out. I am certain that nearly all of these are available somewhere on the net.

Check out "Sidewinder" or "In a Moonlit Alleyway" at:
mountainmirrorsmp3s.iuma.com.
Tell it like it is, Mon.
Does anybody remember laughter??

Back