Radio Microphones

Orson

Anybody have any experience of these Rode type remote/radio mics?

Are they worth the cash or best stick with a lapel mic and a recorder in your pocket?

I've got a Rode wireless Go. It is great. Good mike, low noise, effective operation. It is good for situations where you need a mike close to the action but need it to be unobtrusive, e.g. in theatre where you need to capture a bit of audio from a particular location on stage.

The Rode range gets pretty decent reviews and the only thing I don't like very much are the Go and the Go II which although they can have a small unobtrusive mic attached, tend to be just clipped to people and they're pretty ugly. 2.4GHz digital can be very good, but the snag seems to be that every Tom, Dick and Harry uses 2.4 gigs now and it can be a very busy band with too many users in large towns or venues. It's OK outside, or in quieter/less busy areas, but you do need to be careful. Like Line 6, the Rode tends to be less affected by other wifi users, but can be quite destructive to them.

Does this mean you can get interference/bleed from other users Rob?

I notice that lots of vloggers are using them who travel around and do all sorts of things. If someone talks to you soon, you really would have to be careful you aren't being recorded they are getting so common.

Possibly stay with a new lavalier and my pocket Zoom H5?

Last edited:
I've got a Rode wireless Go. It is great. Good mike, low noise, effective operation. It is good for situations where you need a mike close to the action but need it to be unobtrusive, e.g. in theatre where you need to capture a bit of audio from a particular location on stage.
Gecko do you know if the Rode lavalier mic is the same one they use with their 'Go' systems?

No, and yes. The popular radio mic systems that use the 2.4GHz band seem to be pretty resilient, but cause interference to other users. I’ve got half a dozen line six handheld systems and they have been totally bomb proof, but they have two modes, I call friendly and aggressive. In friendly mode, they operate more like other WiFi devices and follow computer style specifications for WiFi. In the other mode they stay within the band specification but spread across more WiFi channels so as I use these in theatres, they are in this mode and in four years I don’t think I have had one drop out, however, when visiting companies arrive with their in ear systems, iPads doing system management, comms and even the bands sheet music, it’s common to hear people saying, “the WiFi here is rubbish, my pad keeps dropping out, the clock track isnt working….” My mics, however, just keep working. I did try the other mode and then they share available channels and somebody turning on their pad can mute the mics.
I don’t think the Rode offer the aggressive mode, so they could be like mine on the gentle mode, but I don’t know.

I know exactly what you mean. I remember the illegal (American) in UK CB radios and the havoc strong signals can cause.

Perhaps I am better with a decent new lavalier mic and my Zoom.

In theatre we employ somebody to mind radio mics - their job (known in the UK as the A2) is to manage batteries, fit the mics, continually monitor the receivers, to head off problems and watch for interference. Adjust the placement when they get knocked, and apply metres of sticky tape to keep the damn things in place. It's evolved into a proper job, and shows don't start till the A2 is satisfied they're all working properly. Almost every show something happens. Go below 12 or so and the finance for an A2 is usually a bit shaky. and then they really cause grief.

For live work they're essential, but for recording I'd have a wired mic every time if at all possible. RF is a permanent disaster waiting to happen.

The neat thing about the Rode Wireless Go is that you can plug a different mike (e.g. a lavalier) into the transmitter if you need it to be unobtrusive.

Back