Radio...maybe? Maybe not?

jdavis

Hey guys,

Ok, my band just recorded a demo, and this is one cut off the record. I've been debating sending it to some college stations for airplay, and thought i'd get some expert opinions here. Thanks for any advice.

Our name is TRB, if you live in the Nashville area, look out for us!

Thanks!

***Justin***

I wouldnt send it in until the electric guitar is TUNED and re-tracked...The electric guitar playing is also sloppy all the way around.The mix needs a ton of work too...this is like a cassette demo.

If you send something like this in you'll be doing yourself a dis-service.......spend some more time on it,tune the guitar and retrack it....Im sure some others will go in depth about the lack of stereo spread going on and the vocal levels not being quite right.

Good luck.

Last edited:
i would have to agree with Kramer about tuning up the electric guitar a little...........it seems a little off...........also i would agree that the electric is a little sloppy for this track........i wouldn't say that sloppy is a bad thing........but on a track like this where there's a very tight bright acoustic and a nice clean voice, sloppy guitar playing acts as more of a sore thumb than a cool vibe that gives it edge......don't get me wrong here, I play guitar sloppy as hell, but my band's music is sloppy........your band seems tight and clean, thus the guitar should try to mesh with that a little better...........

as for the stereo field........it's pretty narrow right now.........you might want to push that electric out a tad and maybe even balance it with something else on the other side.........also, is the bass not panned down the center? it sounds a little left........it might just be my ears..........also, i realize i'm being more critical here than i usually am, but it's for the sake of getting this ready for radio..............the drums need some sort of stereo panning.......right now there is none that i can see..............

Definitely not radio ready....no offense but there are a few issues that need to be addressed. One is the tuning. In an era of $20 tuners....there is no excuse for guitars being out of tune. Also.....the sound of the vocals is kinda harsh and middy sounding. Definitely need to adjust the EQ there. The basic material's there so if you work on tweaking it some.....it could be radio ready, just not quite yet.

Wow, thanks alot guys.

I can see what you mean, I just hadn't really noticed it before, thanks!

How about the song itself, good song, good groove? Vox ok?

Just kinda wanting to know about everything about it I can, thanks!

***Justin***

jdavis said:
I can see what you mean, I just hadn't really noticed it before, thanks

That's just one of the great things about this site. People will point out things that you simply don't hear when you're in the middle of a project. And they do it for free. Pretty cool.

I agree with everything about tuning, execution, levels, and midrange.

As far as song quality... I liked the music, it was catchy. However it bordered on Hootie and the Blowfish. Couldn't hear all the words, but I could hear most of them. Lyrically, it was a bit uninspiring. It seems like a collection of worn out lines from other songs. Ok, that's a bit too harsh sounding, but I hope you get my point.

I think you've got the start of something with potential. Work on recording techniques, getting the parts down solid, and work on lyrics.

That's my advice anyway.

However it bordered on Hootie and the Blowfish.

Ya know....actually, that's a compliment, cause they're one of my big influences...interesting that it's that obvious. Thanks for the replies, keep 'em coming!

***Justin***

Yep,hootie and the blowfish is obvious in this tune....thats not a good thing though......those guys couldnt buy themselves back into popularity......that sound is over ,never to return.

I say we just boycott all radio anyway. I'm sick of to death of radio shit. Just my opinion.

The real music is right here. Tune in.

SLuiCe said:
I say we just boycott all radio anyway. I'm sick of to death of radio shit. Just my opinion.

The real music is right here. Tune in.

I've been on a radio boycott for years..not to make a statement or anything....there's just nothing on the damn radio....if I listen to the radio it's usually a news or religous station.

yep. Radio is good for finding out who's bombing who today. Oh, and over-compressed pop songs. :D

Just to add to the fray...

I don't know if you're re-tracking any of this after the suggestions.. but if you are.. you might wanna try micing/tuning/EQing that snare better... it sounded really bad. And the acoustic guitar sound in the beginning was really cheap sounding.. prolly the most "amature" sounding aspect of the song. You might wanna try micing it with a condensor instead of running it direct.

P.S. Yeah... most of the stuff on the radio is crap.. but I still like some radio friendly stuff... I'm a sucker for a hook... I can't help it... that's even how I write.. so I guess I'm stuck with it now... :p

WATYF

Ya, WATYF I should probably clarify. I absolutely loathe 97% of everything I hear on the radio. And I must suffer through it to get to the good stuff I won't hear otherwise. But I love a "good" hook too, as long as 20 other people haven't already done it this year.

we're on the same page then... :p

speaking of the same page,.. I burned all your stuff for a friend of mine.. he liked it and wanted a copy.. hope you don't mind.. :D :( :cool:

WATYF

Sounds pretty good,I think if you lowered the elec git some also,it would be much better.
The guitar sound from 2:40 was just right.IMHOP

Nice vocals,I liked the acoustic at the beggining.
Good lead work.

Has definate possibilities!:D

Pete

Electric guit hurt my ears. Song is kinda boring. All my stuff is boring; I'm boring - so take that with a grain of salt. I didn't want to listen to the end. I wouldn't send it for radio play.

I'd say needs work as well. My stuff doesn't even come close to this, but I'm also not debating sending it to radio. Have to agree with WATYF about the snare, and I feel the song just needs some life all around. Good base though, work on it with suggestions from these guys (they're the best) and I'm sure you could get airplay somewhere :D

Back