Racks vs Stands in the Studio

disgruntled-inc

Detachable Member
I have had my drums on a Pearl ICON rack for years and it never occurred to me before, but in a studio setting would individual stands be better?

I was thinking to myself that since the rack is essentially a piping system it probably conducts energy from one surface to another quite well. Would those sympathetic vibrations could cause "mud" in the recordings?

I have had my drums on a Pearl ICON rack for years and it never occurred to me before, but in a studio setting would individual stands be better?

I was thinking to myself that since the rack is essentially a piping system it probably conducts energy from one surface to another quite well. Would those sympathetic vibrations could cause "mud" in the recordings?

Unless you have had issues with mud or strange overtones you're probably OK. I would say use mic stands to keep any mics off the rack.

Drums are a loud instrument by nature. The energy travels through the air almost as well as through a rack. Hitting a tom or kick can make a cymbal ring slightly, even with separate stands.

If it causes rattles and squeaks then convert to stands. If not then, I wouldn't worry about it unless you are a perfectionist.

The only thing I do different in the studio is take away any toms or cymbals that are not needed for each song. Having extra pieces there that are not used may contribute to the noise factor.

I would say use mic stands to keep any mics off the rack.

Learned that lesson the hard way years ago when we first started recording. Thought we'd be clever and mount all of the mics on the rack with LP Claws. I can't put into words how awful that sounded. Every surface struck started a rumble of shit through every mic.

Drums are a loud instrument by nature. The energy travels through the air almost as well as through a rack. Hitting a tom or kick can make a cymbal ring slightly, even with separate stands.

If it causes rattles and squeaks then convert to stands. If not then, I wouldn't worry about it unless you are a perfectionist.

The only thing I do different in the studio is take away any toms or cymbals that are not needed for each song. Having extra pieces there that are not used may contribute to the noise factor.

Perfectionist, yes. Just not talented enough to do anything about it...yet. ;)

Back