Rackmount Mixers?

thecongo

Hey everyone,
I'm leaving for college soon, and I want to take my recording setup with me in a rack setup. I was planning to buy a big 20 space case I can lock up and put all of my equipment in there. All of my equipment right now is rackmount, except for my mixer. So I am in need of a mixer that would work well with a single ADAT (I'm going to leave my reel to reel at home.)

I have looked around, but I am really not sure what rackmount mixers sound the best, that have direct outs and work the best with ADATs. I saw a Trident S1000 Rackmount mixer that I absolutely love, but I can't afford the 5k pricetag. So please send me your suggestions, I am a fan of vintage equipment or things that are not normal studio fare. Just let me know, it will be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Aaron

A Mackie 1604 vlz pro would be an excellent choice in your particular situation. For a single ADAT, and rackmounted. I'd by one right away.

Download the manual from www.mackie.com

I wouldn't buy a mackie unless I was intending on using it for a very simple application, for instance headphone monitor mixes, a simple video, or for untrained people to use.

There's much better stuff out there like a Crest XR-20, which is a very versatile mixer, for not a huge price. If you're on a budget, the A&H mix wizards, or the soundcraft spirit f1? (i think that's it) are in the same price range as the mackies and will easily out perform it. And all of those are rackmount.

If you just want something that rackmounts, why not buy a behri? It LOOKS cool, well maybe not.

Yeah...I really don't like mackies, they really don't do it for me. However, I will look into the soundcraft and other things. THanks!

What are people's opinion on Hill Audio mixers? There's one up on ebay right now, and it looks interesting.

I too would like the manley mixer, but alas I dont have the 8k and change needed to pay for it. I was looking more at a grand or less.

I don't know much about the hill audio stuff and it doesn't look like they're in business anymore, or not really popular because I can't find anything about them. It LOOKS like its trying to look like a good console. But I really don't know.

The A&H runs for about 900 and so does the SC.
And the Crest runs for around 1700 all USD. I personally think the crest is worth doubling the price. Those are basically your options, plus the mackie, and maybe a behringer, neither of those I'd recommend.

Back